How to upload/modify files via TFTP for UCM 6.1

Answered Question
Apr 4th, 2008
User Badges:

Good afternoon. I'm trying to limit the amount of ring tones there are available for my users. I know that I'm supposed to modify the Ringlist.xml file, but I don't know how to get to it (my experience comes from Cisco 3.X and 4.X, in other words Windows based systems). I know that it should be in the default TFTP directory, but I know neither how to get there or how to modify files once I'm there. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Correct Answer by Rob Huffman about 9 years 2 months ago

Hi James,

Did you do Step 5 (from the doc I sent?)

To cache the new Ringlist.xml file, stop and start the TFTP service by using Cisco Unified Serviceability or disable and re-enable the "Enable Caching of Constant and Bin Files at Startup" TFTP service parameter (located in the Advanced Service Parameters).

Hope this helps!

Rob

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Rob Huffman Fri, 04/04/2008 - 20:51
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 IP Telephony, Unified Communications

telcorinc Sun, 04/06/2008 - 20:44
User Badges:

Rob, it did. Thank you. I had to change it up a little bit to get the contents of the file (copying from the SSH session instead of the SFTP directory), but after I got the XML file local everything went well and the new Ringlist.xml file is uploaded onto the server.

I think this goes without saying, there are a few differences between Windows and Linux :-). My days of C:\Program Files for CUCM are now over...

James

telcorinc Tue, 04/08/2008 - 05:31
User Badges:

So after changing the Ringlist.xml, the phones still show all the default ringers still available. Restarting and resetting the phones don't trigger the new list? Could I have put it in the wrong location? Or maybe not overwritten the old file correctly?

James

Correct Answer
Rob Huffman Tue, 04/08/2008 - 05:38
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

Hi James,

Did you do Step 5 (from the doc I sent?)

To cache the new Ringlist.xml file, stop and start the TFTP service by using Cisco Unified Serviceability or disable and re-enable the "Enable Caching of Constant and Bin Files at Startup" TFTP service parameter (located in the Advanced Service Parameters).

Hope this helps!

Rob

telcorinc Tue, 04/08/2008 - 05:42
User Badges:

Rob I apologize. I was looking at the other documentation link you sent me and didn't go back to look at the other one.

I kept going in on SSH and looking at the XML file just puzzled as to why the new one wasn't showing up on the phones.

I will give the TFTP service restart a try. Thanks again for your help.

James

Rob Huffman Tue, 04/08/2008 - 05:45
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

Hey James,

No need to apologize my friend :) We'll get this working!

Take care,

Rob

telcorinc Tue, 04/08/2008 - 06:01
User Badges:

The new Ringlist.xml works great (the service restart did the trick). I marked your comment above as the solution.

Thanks for your help and the speedy responses!

James

Rob Huffman Tue, 04/08/2008 - 06:10
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

Hi James,

You are most welcome :) Glad to be of some small help here.

Take care,

Rob

Actions

This Discussion