Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth on Ethernet

smallrain_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a fast ethernet link to our ISP box. Our guranteed service is only 30Mbps.

What is the best way to configure our fast ethernet interface to limit traffic to 30Mbps?

Thanks,

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to use shaping on your ethernet interface ie.

class-map match-all Class_Default

match any

!

!

policy-map WAN_Shape

class Class_Default

shape average 30000000

int fa0/1

service-policy output WAN_Shape

The ISP will probably police the traffic on their end but you are better off using shaping as it is a bit less drastic.

Jon

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Another option, your Ethernet interface might support GTS, e.g. "traffic-shape rate 30000000". However, I endorse Jon's suggestion of using CBWFQ for future QoS options.

PS:

BTW: class-default is an implict class, you shouldn't need to define a class-map for it.

"BTW: class-default is an implict class, you shouldn't need to define a class-map for it."

I know, i just thought it would be a better example rather than just a shape statement under the policy-map. Looking at it now you may have a point :-)

Jon

It is a fine example, postscript was directed to other readers, such as perhaps OP, who might not have been aware of the fact.

Thanks all.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card