cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to stop a command - make it stop running (such as ping)

cybrsage
Level 1
Level 1

Lets say I mess up and type 10000 instead of 1000 in an extended ping. Lets say I realize it only after the ping starts.

How do I make it stop?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Michael

Generally the ctl shift 6 combination will stop these commands.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Michael

Generally the ctl shift 6 combination will stop these commands.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you!

I have found I have to hit the CTRL-SHIFT-6 combo twice in rapid succession for it to work, but I am using Hyperterm, so who knows.

Thank you so very much, that is a great tip.

Michael

I agree that hitting the key stroke combination several times seems to be necessary in many instances - including times when I am not using Hyperterm.

I am glad that my answer was helpful. Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your question was resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read a question and can know that they will read a response which resolved the question.

The forum is an excellent place to learn about Cisco networking. I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Justin Brenton
Level 4
Level 4

Try this from the console.

hold down Ctrl+shift+6, release and then press x immediately. This may work depending on IOS

Regards,

Justin

Justin

The keystroke combination you give is right if you want to suspend a telnet session. But to stop an executing command you do not need the x. A Ctrl+shift+6 is enough.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks Rick, do you find it often do not work?

I often try to use this with no luck.

Justin.

Justin

It may depend on what command you are trying to stop. I find that for ping and traceroute it is pretty effective (though it may take multiple entries of the key stroke combination). For other commands it may not be effective.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

cisco_lad2004
Level 5
Level 5

u can also set the break character by using "terminal escape-character Z" (I use z).

when I want to break a trace or oing, i simply hit z.

HTH

Sam

jake.epling
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco ASA 5505 and I just hit "q" to stop a task. 

gee, thanks man!

You are welcome.

HTH

Rick

have a good one,

VinayM
Level 1
Level 1

hi

I tried using Ctrl+shift+6 together but was not able to stop the ping on Cisco 7609 router.

I am surprised that Ctrl+shift+6 did not stop the ping. Did you enter the key combination several times, or just once?

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card