Views
Helpful
Replies

MAC address to IP address binding

tarun.shee
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

I am to configure Pc's MAC address to IP address binding in my router.

Plz. Help.

6 Replies 6

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

What is exact think you want to do?

Is there any specific reason to have a static ARP entry on the router for the machine?

If it is the DHCP binding you are talking about, then you can bind the PC's mac-address to the IP required in the DHCP server (windows or IOS)

Narayan

Ha ha ha

You will get the same answer :) see his three other posts?

Not even mentioned if its a cisco router, what is the problem why it thinks it need to bind it, what is the purpose or what it is trying to achieve.

I agree that some people are very good at being unable to explain problems properly. But a good network engineer must be able to handle these situations as well, eg what is more likely that the person wants and what reasonably can be done about.

So here on the forum, sometime if the vibe is right, I try to give an answer anyway, sometime I get it right, sometime I do not, sometime no further answer whatsoever.

For the last case especially, I think that is because an undetailed or poorly written post, reflects scarce communications skills and little respect toward others, I think that should be a reason enough to leave it unanswered.

hi,

actually my pc gets ip from DHCP server, which configured in cisco 3845 router. the IP change in my pc automatically. So I want to fix the IP for dedicated MAC address in my pc.

Thanks,

ARP entries on routers can also be permanently placed in the table. To statically map PC to hardware address, with a arpa encapsulation type, use the following:

router(config)# arp (PC ip address) (PC mac address) arpa (Interface)

In my opinion, leave the router to discover the data-link identifier by itself.

Please rate if this helps

Franco

There are two methods:

1. configure the address statically on the PC, exclude said address for dhcp, that is "ip dhcp excluded-address". This can be a range too.

2. add a dhcp pool command in the router, that specifies ip and mac-address for each static assignment.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card