Views
Helpful
Replies

Re: Cisco 6500 and Nortel 5500 switches

saquib.mkhan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Any one created port-channels with Nortel 5500 switches at the edge i.e. with two 6500's running HSRP ? A config would be much appreciated

I am assuming LACP will be the protocol

much appreciated

5 Replies 5

Istvan_Rabai
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Saquib,

I helped a guy to create an LACP port-channel between a Nortel switch and a Cisco switch.

I guided him with the configuration of the Cisco side of the port-channel.

I can help you with the LACP configuration but not the Nortel switch specifics.

Please tell what exactly you need.

Cheers:

Istvan

You say that your 6500's are running HSRP. Based on this i assume that you need a connectivity to both the 6500's but do you have dual connections to each of them to run LACP?

If you have a single link, STP will block one.

Cisco switches do not support SMLT which a nortel switch does and loadbalance traffic between 2 chassis at L2

Narayan

saquib.mkhan
Level 1
Level 1

I don't have an issue either creating it on the Cisco side or the Nortel side using LACP.

Instead of using MLT / SMLT on the 5500 switches, LACP is the compatible protocol between Cisco and Nortel.

Just wondering if someone has already done it and can share the configurations to confirm. I have it kinda running in a lab environment. It should be a common configuration.

Hi Saquib,

Here's a sample config I used for connecting a Cisco switch to a Nortel switch:

conf t

port-channel load-balance {load-balance method}

lacp system-priority 100

interface range gig2/11 - 14

switchport

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan x,y,z

switchport trunk native vlan x

switchport mode trunk

channel-protocol lacp

channel-group 1 mode active

The load-balance method depends on your traffic. Please read more about it on the link here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.1E/native/configuration/guide/channel.html

Click on the "Configuring EtherChannel Load Balancing" link.

Load balancing can be based on the mac-addresses, ip addresses (on 6500 and 4500 switches on port numbers as well).

Cheers:

Istvan

I do have the stuff working with LACP with both on the Cisco side and the Nortel side. Does anyone have a configuration from the Nortel side 5500 or 470 switch side, not 8600 ?

Another option, I am told if I use MLT on the Nortel side and Port-Channel on the Cisco side, I should be able to talk. Is that true, has anyone tried this without using LACP ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card