Some observation of CCNP Simulator in the real exam

Unanswered Question
Apr 5th, 2008

Hi All,

Today, i cleared BCMSN Paper. However, i have observed few things while doing Lab Questions in the exam. I require some clarification regarding these simulated base Lab Question in which i observe while executing some correct commands, it give me error, i execute command to copy the configuration but error window display with the message "can't use in this version". i just need to know why cisco don't allow correct command if somebody used. There should be some flexibility to build confidence in the candidat that what's doing is correct. Same is happened while executing state active command in the vlan config mode but error window display. I need some guidance from anybody b/c i used to appear to ISCW Exam so that to care of these thing as i assume it deduct the marks as well.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Richard Burts Sat, 04/05/2008 - 13:13

I can not speak for Cisco since I do not work for Cisco, but here are my thoughts about your observation. In creating the simulator they are not attempting to recreate IOS and all its functions. In the simulator they create the commands that they believe are necessary to accomplish the task that you are assigned. Some other commands are not created in the simulator. I agree that it can be disconcerting when you enter a command that should be valid and get an error response. But from a practical standpoint it is the reasonable way to create the simulator.

My understanding of the grading of the questions is that when you click complete on the question it looks to see if the correct configuration commands were entered to create the correct outcome. I do not believe that it deducts any points if you attempted some extra command and received a not supported error message.

fmubarakali Sat, 04/05/2008 - 13:58

i can understand the point and i believe that would happened same in the simulator. However, Cisco person would further clarify further.

Thanks for your output.

Any Cisco person put some comment on it.As happen as Rick and me assume

Faisal Mubarak

davehartburn Fri, 04/11/2008 - 07:54

I would be interested to know (if anyone does know), how the simulations are marked. Is it just a case of having the right running config at the end or are marks given to see how efficient you are at doing it?

For example, I will often run a couple of 'show' commands and perhaps look at the running config of a switch, before I attempt to do any configuration. Could I be losing marks by doing this?

Richard Burts Fri, 04/11/2008 - 08:42

As already mentioned I do not work for Cisco so what I have is an opinion and not an authoritative answer. But I would be amazed if the grading were anything other than evaluate the config that you produced. I am confident that you are not losing any marks by doing some extra show commands.

This Discussion