Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless MAN

pilbara_dan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am looking in to the feasibility of offering wireless internet access in my corner of the world.

Could someone please give me some general guidance on the following information and recommend equipment?

There are currently 3 construction camps that I would like to offer Wireless access to.

There is a base office, which is approximately 2 miles from Site1, 4 miles from Site 2 and 6 miles from Site 3. All sites have site sheds (thin metal outer coating) that have been modified in to accomodation.

Each site is approximately 200x200 yards in dimension.

All sites should be able to allow 100 - 500 users simultaneous access.

I need to find out what Cisco Products should be used, how many and where they should be placed (in very general terms).

Currently there is no line of sight between the base office and the remote locations, but there is a hill with a tower that would provide line of sight to all construction camps.

I can provide more information and drawings/maps if that would help.

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You will need a wireless backhaul from your base office to the water tower (multipoint) and then to your remote sites. At the construction camps, you might was to do a wireless mesh setup. This is kind of hard to design without know what you really can and can't do. 100-500 users at one time is alot (Cisco recommends 25-30 or so users per AP), but it also depends on what kind of traffic and how much bandwidth you require. The backhau is probaly your most important part you really need to look at. Cisco makes bridges that go up to 54mbps (you won't get that though) which migh or might not be enough for you. There are other vendors who specialize in wireless bridges with throughput of 100mb up to a Gig. But a set of these can run you from $20,000 up.

Mesh has been used in construction sites, due to the fact that you only need to supply power and don't have to worry about cabling cat5 to each ap location.

I know that this didn't answer all you questions, but hopefully this help some how.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks for the info, it's just raised more questions :)

Attached is a picture of the site and a key to the distance between the sites.

I should be able to get access to communications towers in the town and on a hill overlooking all the sites.

Would it be right to assume that I could use a 1500 series on the tower to beam a signal to all the construction camps? (I'm of the belief that the 1500's are omnidirectional?).

Also, would it be advisable to use Aironet 1250's in NEMA housing, for outdoor location on the construction camps?

With the previous response of 25-30 users per AP, I take it that they should be spread out over the camps and not centrally located?

Fella5, can I email you with some questions?

Cheers,

Dan.

You can use the 1500's as long as that gives you enough bandwidth for the backhaul. The 1252's should be in a NEMA enclosure, but again with using the 1252's you need to cable to each ap and be within 300' from a switch.

You can email me at scott.fella@cdw.com

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Dan

this link is for the 1500 design doc.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/mesh/design/guide/MeshAP.html

Remember the high gain omni antennas have a verry narrow beam width and need to be mounted at the same height for best connection.

the following link is for the 1400a bridge

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5679/ps5279/ps5285/product_data_sheet09186a008018495c.html

I included it as it contains some guidelines for for antennas and link speeds verses distance.

Bill

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card