Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

same security levels on 2 interfaces on ASA 7.x

If i have 2 interfaces with the same security level on ASA running 7.x code, with " same-security-traffic permit inter-interface " enabled and also an acl in place on both those interfaces, will the implicit permit be still effective between the same security level interfaces or will the acl take effect ?

thanks,

Vikram

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

no it will not, the command will bypass ACLs, in other words acl has not precedence over the command.

Jorge Rodriguez

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Vikram, one of the purposes of same-security-traffic permit inter-interface command is to allow communications between interfaces with same interface security level without the use of access lists, so if this is what you are trying to accomplish then any permit rules between these same security interfaces can technically be decomissioned as this command will permit traffic between the two.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa72/command/reference/s1_72.html#wp1289167

HTH

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

this answers part of the question, but what if i have "same-security-traffic permit inter-interface" and access-list configured on the interfaces with same security-level,

Question: will this make "same-security-traffic permit inter-interfae" command ineffective ??

thanks,

vikram

no it will not, the command will bypass ACLs, in other words acl has not precedence over the command.

Jorge Rodriguez

it answers my question, i have rated your response

-vikram

Vikram, I am glad I was help to clarify your question, I thank you for using the rating system as it encourages all participating in forums to go the extra mile.

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: