Views
Helpful
Replies

ip prefix-list on sub-interface

caijunjie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Is it possible to use a ip prefix-list on a sub-interface?

Alan

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

ip prefix-list to do what ?

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Alan,

Prefix-lists are mainly used for route filtering with dynamic routing protocols or with attribute(s) manipulation with BGP, it is not used for packet filtering like ACLs, and thus can't be applied under interfaces.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi Alan,

I completely agree with Mohammed. Prefix-list has been designed for control plane(Drawing network map) so It cannot be used for filtering routes as ACL does at interface-level.

HTH

Thot

Hi

I agree with you that it is used to filter route. I have an example:

If I had 3 router connected via frame relay in a hub and spoke design and R1 is the hub. R1 is connected with a sub-interface. If i want to advertise only a default route out R1 serial interface. I use a default originate and a prefix that permit only 0.0.0.0/0 .

Problem is that I still get other route advertised out R1 serial sub-interface. If dun configure a sub-interface . it work.

May i know why is this so. Hope u know wat i am writing. hehe

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Can you please post your configuration.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Which routing protocol are you using?

I wonder if there might be some confusion about how the prefix list is used relative to subinterfaces. Most of the comments about it not working focus on the possibility that it would be configured in subinterface config mode directly on the subinteface. But there is another possibility which is that the prefix list may be configured under the routing protocol as part of a distribute list and associated with the subinterface - which would work. Perhaps this could be looked at as prefix list working on the subinterface.

Perhaps the original poster can clarify which usage he is talking about?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card