Views
Helpful
Replies

issue with EthChannel

balsheikh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi..

I configured EthChannel to aggregate two Gig interfaces between Cisco 6509 core sw and AIX server (Teaming).

Config on 6509 core as following:

On both interfaces (assume Gi7/7 & Gi7/8)

swichport

switchport access vlan 5

switchport mode access

channel-group 8 mode active

I have checked the server's NIC, it supported LACP aggregatoin type.

output ---> port-channel 8 created but ONLY interface G7/7 is member of this bundle and I found that port-channel 8A created automatically and G7/8 considered as member of this virtual bundle.

I'm trying to figure out the logic behind creation of port-channel 8A !!

any helpful comments !!!

Thx

9 Replies 9

Istvan_Rabai
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Belal,

I believe you should specify the channel-protocol on the interface level explicitly to be lacp:

channel-protocol lacp

Try this.

Cheers:

Istvan

Hi Istvan,

I believe once I configured mode active it will select the LACP as the protocol for aggregation and I can confirm that LACP is the running protocol, I issued the command "show interface port-channel 8 eth"

it clearly shows that LACP run.

Istvan,

It is not really necessary to specify the channel-protocol because LACP is already implied in the "active" (or "passive") setting.

In fact, the channel-protocol is not a very useful command because it only serves as a sort of configuration safety lock ... a sort of "belt-and-braces" tautology. It has no direct influence on the mode of the channel.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the contribution.

I want to share my experience with you:

channel-protocol pagp

channel-group 1 mode on

And the channel did not form.

So if the channel-protocol is specified, then very interestingly, the switch does not accept "on" mode.

(In "on" mode no pagp messages sent.)

I hope someone will use this info somewhere.

Cheers:

Istvan

That's good!

Thank you Edison.

Cheers:

Istvan

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That's very odd. I don't think is possible to have an interface with a number and a letter.

Can you post the output from typing

show version

show interface brief

and

show ether sum

Thanks

__

Edison.

Hi Edison,

believe me its possible, but the amazing thing that I found it today working fine and both interfaces shown in port-chahnnel 9 but to convince you that number and a letter is there I copied the logs and below the output:

Apr 7 14:38:46.765 KWT: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Port-channel9A, changed state to down

Apr 7 14:38:46.801 KWT: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet7/9, changed state to down

Apr 7 14:38:46.769 KWT: %LINEPROTO-SP-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet7/9, changed state to down

Apr 7 14:38:46.769 KWT: %LINEPROTO-SP-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet7/10, changed state to down

Apr 7 14:38:46.813 KWT: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Port-channel9A, changed state to down

Apr 7 14:38:46.817 KWT: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet7/10, changed state to down

Apr 7 14:38:47.001 KWT: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Port-channel9A, changed state to administratively down

finally its Cisco, expect more :)

thx for support,

Strange. Never seen that before. Is it IOS or CatOS?

Sorry ... second thoughts I take that back ... it looks like IOS. Still strange though.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: