cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RJ 21

m-abooali
Level 4
Level 4

I started a new position and I am seeing devices like Cisco Switches, routers with RJ21 connectors and I wonder what would be involve if we decide to change to rj45 and fiber blades/ports?

thx,

Masood

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

manmeetmarwah
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Masood,

RJ 21 connectors are basically having 50 pins in a single connector, thus usually these connectors are used to connect Ethernet ports in bulk from a switch with RJ-21 ports to a CAT-5 or CAT-6 rated patch panel, or between two patch panels.i.e. each connector can support upto 12 ethernet ports thus you can save a lot of cabling, space and may be cost too.

If you decide to change them to RJ-45 or fiber ports, you need to change the cabling, cards on routers and switches and probably more space and cost would be involved in doing so.

* Pls rate if helps.

Manmeet

In case

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

manmeetmarwah
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Masood,

RJ 21 connectors are basically having 50 pins in a single connector, thus usually these connectors are used to connect Ethernet ports in bulk from a switch with RJ-21 ports to a CAT-5 or CAT-6 rated patch panel, or between two patch panels.i.e. each connector can support upto 12 ethernet ports thus you can save a lot of cabling, space and may be cost too.

If you decide to change them to RJ-45 or fiber ports, you need to change the cabling, cards on routers and switches and probably more space and cost would be involved in doing so.

* Pls rate if helps.

Manmeet

In case

Thanks man. it did answer my question.

Masood

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card