cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

General MPLS question

noroutes4u
Level 1
Level 1

I have many separate offices connected to my access switch and I am providing their internet access. These customers do not need to "see" each other. How do I aggregate them into one pw out to the internet? I know that H-VPLS could do the same, but that requires hardware that I do not have (7600). Could I accomplish the same task with my current 6509 in the core and 3750 and 400 series access switches? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

6 Replies 6

smalkeric
Level 6
Level 6

You need to have a router to accomplish this.

n.nandrekar
Level 4
Level 4

Hi!

Yes you could Have H-VPLS even with 6509 in the core. You would just need a SIP-400 facing the core to run VPLS - on SUPW or SUP720. So the wan module is necessary on the 6509 to make this work. The other access devices would support Eompls pw to connect to the 6509 which can then aggrigate in the vpls core.

Regards,

Niranjan

Thanks for you response.

Do you have any documentation for this?

I need it for management purposes.

Hi!

Following is a link which gives info about VPLS on 6500 telling on which modules it is supported and on which it is not.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/shared_port_adapters/configuration/6500series/76cfgsip.html#wp1181268

It is a 6500 config guide. Dont get confused by the 7600 terminology used for the SIP cards as almost all the h/w can be shared between 7600 and 6500. Cisco sometimes even refers links to the 7600 documentation through 6500.

If the above link doesnot solve your problem, you may also refer to the various release notes for SXH and SXF releases in the 6500 documentation on cisco site and search for VPLS.

following is a link to one of the release notes from 6500 documentation.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/shared_port_adapters/configuration/6500series/76cfgsip.html#wp1181268

Hope you find this helpful.

Regards,

Niranjan

Thank you for links. You don't have any sample configs do you?

You can get the sample configs from the link itself. Or you can refer the 7600 documentation for configs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: