cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can ISDN used as backup link for Metro-E trunk? Can it be done?

aansatosorigin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi experts,

I got critical issue since my Metro-e trunk unable to be backup with ISDN. The issue is that, when the Metro-e trunk is down, the ISDN is not triggered since the fastethernet port at router still in UP status, which unable to force the ISDN to trigger automatically. Currently, I m using backup interface method which applied at Fasethernet interface at router like below:

interface FastEthernet1/0

description *** Metro-E Trunk **

ip address 10.35.125.1 255.255.255.0

backup interface dialer1

backup delay 5 60

duplex full

speed auto

end

*comment: Fastethernet1/0 still UP although Metro-E trunk is DOWN.

On design site, the router is connected to fiber-converter which has two ports, one for fiber (metro-e) port and another one is LAN port connecting to the router fastethernet interface.

Is there any methods which can force the ISDN to trigger automatically although the fastethernet status still UP?? Thank you.

2 Replies 2

You can use the IOS feature reliable static route using object tracking to detect the Metro trunk failure and force the ISDN backup to takeover the routing using a floating static route.

Check out this link for more information and configuration steps.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/12_3x/12_3xe/feature/guide/dbackupx.html

HTH

Sundar

Hi Sundar,

Thank you for your immediate advice. I will try this solution and will let you know the results. Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: