Views
Helpful
Replies

803 Router not booting properly

iangates1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I have recently got hold of an 803 Router for my CCNA, which I am connecting to my laptop with the Cisco Console cable, and a USB to RS232 adaptor.

When I open up Hyperterminal I can see the Router booting, but it seems to get stuck towards the end, and then if I press return it takes me to a prompt, of sorts, always along the lines of MASPDE. It seems to recognise some key strokes, but not all (but doesn't show them on the screen), and when I hit return it usually throws up an error message because it didn't recognise the keys pressed.

I have attached the text that the Router outputs when I turn it on in case it helps. I have also confirmed in Device manager that COM 1 is using the correct settings (e.g. 9600 bits/sec etc.)

As you can probably tell I'm a bit of a newbie, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ian

The output in the file that you posted is interesting - but a bit hard to interpret. One thing that is clear is that there is a pre-existing configuration on the router - one clear evidence is that there is a non-default router name. It almost looks like there might have been a menu built for the initial screen in the old config. And the router is booting multiple times. I am not clear whether it ever really gets stable.

My suggestion would be to go through the steps of password recovery to the point where you have changed the config register and booted the router. You may find this link helpful:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_password_recovery09186a00800942c2.shtml

Once you have booted the router with the config register set to 142 you do not need the steps where it gets the config back and sets the passwords. What you wanted was to bypass the config during bootup and you have done that. You do want to set the config register back to its normal value (step 14 in the procedure). Now you have a router with an empty config which you can build up. And hopefully this will make the router more stable.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for your help, however I can't seem to register a 'break' command. I have tried presing Break on the keyboard, and also Ctrl + Break, but it seems to ignore it. I have found that pressing Space has an effect, but I then get

input: failed, "io error"

If you press another key it goes to

boot#

input: failed "io error"

this keep cycling round with each key press, and every 5 or so times I get

Console will be reset to 9600/n/8/1 (excessive breaks).

Console now reset to 9600/m/8/1 (excessive breaks).

input:failed, "io error"

Any other suggestions you have would be greatly received.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card