cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ATM Interface output shows initializing

vijaykumargowda
Level 1
Level 1

Working on setting up VPN backup on ADSL over ISDN HWIC card HWIC-1ADSLI in 2801 router with IOS ADVIPSERVICES 124-9.T5 in slot 1.

The HWIC does not get past "initializing". Have tried various configurations and rebooted router twice.Any help would be appreciated.

12 Replies 12

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, the card you have is for ADSL over ISDN (annex B). That is common in germany only. It cannot be made to work with other types of ADSL.

For "regular" ADSL over POTS, please use HWIC-1ADSL.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Thanks for the information.

Do we have any document for this? I have searched in Cisco, but was not succesfull in getting it. So i would request,if you have any document for this to forward to me.

The data sheet:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5855/product_data_sheet0900aecd80394b7e_ps5853_Products_Data_Sheet.html

As a recognition to those providing answers, please rate useful posts with the scrollbox below!

This application is ADSLoISDN being supplied by COVAD in TX. Is there a reason why the ATM would be initializing only. It never reaches the iniialized state. I have talked to COVAD and they could only tell me that they are using a Nokia DSLAM. Could this be the issue?

Does it come with a bri service on the same wires ? Have these been tested ? Which FW do you have currently, check show dsl interface.

No BRI Service. Straight ADSLoISDN. We have connectivity from PC to internet when we are using the modem. No FW on this router. Using this as VPN backup. setup as PPPoE. When tunnel comes it will go through our corp FW.

You don't see the FW, but it's there. Try fw 3.0.33 or 4.0.3 from ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/access/800

There is a doc file for the installation.

Also can you post current modem exact model to double check nature of service.

My bad, I was thinking of FW (firewall). When I do "sho dsl int atm 0/1/0" here is what I get:

Router2#sho dsl int atm 0/1/0

ATM0/1/0

Alcatel 20190 chipset information

Line has not yet been activated. No information available.

DSL: Training log buffer capability is not enabled.

It looks like the 3.0.33 would be the latest for the HWIC-1ADSLI since the next one shows to be 4.10.9 for the C836.

Here is the modem info - COVAD Utopia R4652-T for ADSLoISDN service at 144Kbps. Nokia DSLAM model unknown.

Thanks,

Just a little more info. When I had debug atm events and errors on I saw this:

*Apr 16 10:33:43 CDT: DSL: Downloading init_AMR-R-2.5.042_no_bist.bin

So is my fw a little behind or is this the DSLAMs?

That is current FW. Please try the upgrade. If that doesn't work, 4.0.3 is available for registered users:

ftp://:@ftp.cisco.com/cisco/access/800/

I have uprgraded the IOS on this 2801 router to "c2801-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T3.bin" and I have upgraded the firmware for the HWIC-1ADSLI to "adsl_alc_20190.3-0-33.bin". I have seen no change in the initialization. I e-mailed Covad support and told them I would like to know what dslam they were using and why, they informed me that I do not have an ADSL line that I have an IDSL line.

My understanding is that IDSL is an ADSL-over-ISDN line. Is this not correct?

thanks,

Hmm.. no, it's actually leased line ISDN BRI running at 128 Kbps, it is not BB.

You can use a WIC-BRI card to terminate IDSL.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk175/tk349/technologies_q_and_a_item09186a00800946d3.shtml

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: