cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 IOS Upgrade

Jason Fraioli
Level 3
Level 3

This is the first time I have ever attempted to replace the IOS on a 6509 so I am taking this one slow.

"dir flash:" shows the following image: cat6000-sup720k8.8-1-3.bin. The new image is: s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXH2.bin. There is a considerable difference in size here. The first image is 13MB, while the new image is 72MB. Does that seem correct?

The two images are obviously for the Sup720, but is there another image I should be aware of or just sup engine?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jason

cat6000-sup720k8.8-1-3.bin is a CatOS image. If you have an MSFC card ie. your 6500 routes as well as switches then you are running in hybrid mode.

s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXH2.bin is a Native version.

Difference between hybrid and native

Hybrid = CatOS on supervisor/IOS on MSFC

Native = IOS for both

Have a look at this attached link which outlines how to upgrade a 6500 from hybrid to native mode.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008015bfa6.shtml

Be aware that your configuration will also change as all the CatOS config needs updating to IOS config.

Jon

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jason

cat6000-sup720k8.8-1-3.bin is a CatOS image. If you have an MSFC card ie. your 6500 routes as well as switches then you are running in hybrid mode.

s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXH2.bin is a Native version.

Difference between hybrid and native

Hybrid = CatOS on supervisor/IOS on MSFC

Native = IOS for both

Have a look at this attached link which outlines how to upgrade a 6500 from hybrid to native mode.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008015bfa6.shtml

Be aware that your configuration will also change as all the CatOS config needs updating to IOS config.

Jon

I logged into the catOS, then did a "switch console" and logged in to the MSFC. It had a totally different IOS image in it's bootflash. Do I need to upgrade that image as well?

If I plug my console cable into the console port on the Sup720, what exactly am I "switch console" into?

Also, this is off topic from this post, but what should the two gig interfaces be used for on the sup720?

Jason

Yes, you will replace both the CatOS and IOS images you have at the moment with the one IOS image.

At the moment if you plug your console into the Sup720 then you are on the supervisor. Think of this as the switch part. The MSFC is the card that handles the formation of routing tables etc. When you run in native mode with just one IOS image then when you plug into the supervisor you are looking at both the switch (forwarding) and the MSFC from the same command line.

2 gig interfacesc can be used a normal gig ports. Often they are used to connect 2 6500 chassis to each other.

Jon

CSCO11167812
Level 1
Level 1

The image you mentioned is a CatOS image and not an IOS. When you want to use the new image you have to migrate the CatOS to IOS.

Did you check if this IOS can be used for your 6509. e.g. enough memory and that kind of things. Support of your installed modules

Good luck,

Michel

Well, as it turns out, I did not have enough flash to copy over the image. Just copying over the image was a chore in itself. Apparently tftp doesn't like 72MB files :)

From here I have two questions.

1.) Can I load and run the IOS from the compact flash (disk 0)?

2.) Can I install more/bigger flash?

Jason

Yes you can run from compact flash and generally that is what is done. You would need to set the "boot system flash .." environment variable to point to the compact flash location.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card