cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ping to router interface

mohammady
Level 1
Level 1

a ping to IP Address of serial interface of the router was not successfull although a ping to next hop was successfull ???what might be the problem???????!!!!!

14 Replies 14

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Generally speaking, some configuration issue.

it is E1 connection (leased line) and when i performed 'sh ip int br' i got status:up protocol:up at both routers

Is the other end of the E1 owned by you, or does it belong to a service provider. If it belongs to a service provider, then it is quite likely they have inhibited ping responses to stop people probing their network topology.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Without know more about your topology and configuration, it could be anyone's guess. It could be an access-list or other security feature in the router. It could be that the other end of the serial link does not have the address you think it has. It could be some issue related to the source address of your ping. It could be multiple paths.

Please could you proivide more detail.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

yes it is owned by me...also know that the ping from the router to its interface ip was not successfull but ping to next hop was successfull.

example:

R1 :serial0/0 ip address 10.10.10.1

R2 :serial0/0 ip address 10.10.10.2

if im login to R1 and do ping to 10.10.10.1 not successfull while ping to 10.10.10.2 successfull.

Is this a PPP connection?

mohammad

I may be thinking along the same lines as Kevin but I wonder if this line is configured with Frame Relay encapsulation. It is a common experience that there may be difficulty in pinging your own interface address if the interface is Frame Relay and if the IP address is configured on the physical interface. The reason for this is that you need a Frame Relay map for your own IP address to be able to ping your own address. While a Frame Relay map is usually generated automatically for the neighbor it is not generated automatically for your own address and so you need to manually configure a map for your own address.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

the cofiguration for the E1 interface is like following:

controller E1 1/0

channel-group 0 timeslots 1-31

framing no-CRC4

Thank you for your cooperation

mohammad

This is the configuration of the controller. It would be helpful if you would also post the configuration of the interface.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

no configuration for the interface just IP address is given to it,it is a direct E1 between the two routers not a frame relay connection..

Is it PPP encapsulation? If so, then you will have encapsulation ppp at your end as well. The other clue is if you have a /32 host route in your forwarding table for the other end of the link.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

encapsulation is HDLC at both ends,also there is no /32 host route in the routing table

Dear Mohammad

Could you restart the physical interface by No shut and Shut as the interface may be hanging.

If not may be access list denying ICMP packets on the router interface.

Thanks mibrahim81 ,it is working now after physical interface reset

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco