cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Downloading phoneload SCCP41.8-3-3SR2S

ranpierce
Level 6
Level 6

We have many phones in our org and all of the phones took the firmware download upgrade except one. It just keeps rebooting and says error besides the upgrading box. Any ideas?

RLP

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Randy,

Performing a Basic Reset

Performing a basic reset of a Cisco Unified IP Phone provides a way to recover if the phone experiences an error and provides a way to reset or restore various configuration and security settings.

A basic reset resets any user and network configuration changes that you have made but that the phone has not written to its Flash memory to previously-saved settings, then restarts the phone.

To perform a basic reset, hold down the * and the 6 keys, and press the Settings button.

Performing a Factory Reset

When you perform a factory reset of the Cisco Unified IP Phone, the following information is erased or reset to its default value:

•CTL file-Erased

•User configuration settings-Reset to default values

•Network configuration settings-Reset to default values (optional)

•Locale information-Reset to default value

•Call histories-Erased

To perform a factory reset of a phone, perform the following steps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note The phone must be on a DHCP-enabled network before you can perform these steps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Procedure

Step 1 Unplug the power cable from the phone and then plug it back in.

The phone begins its power up cycle.

Step 2 Immediately press and hold # while the Headset, Mute, and Speaker buttons turn on and off in sequence.

Release # after the Speaker button turns off.

The Headset, Mute, and Speaker buttons flash in sequence to indicate that the phone is waiting for you to enter the key sequence for the reset.

Step 3 Press 123456789*0# within 60 seconds after the Headset, Mute, and Speaker buttons begin to flash.

If you repeat a key within the sequence (for example, if you press 1223456789*0#), the sequence will still be accepted and the phone will reset.

If you do not complete this key sequence or do not press any keys, the Headset, Mute, and Speaker buttons will stop flashing after 60 seconds and the phone will continue with its normal startup process. The phone will not reset.

If you enter an invalid key sequence, the buttons will stop flashing immediately and the phone will continue with its normal startup process. The phone will not reset.

If you enter this key sequence correctly, the phone displays this prompt:

Keep network cfg? 1 = yes 2 = no

Step 4 To maintain existing network configuration settings for the phone when the phone resets, press 1. To reset network configuration settings when the phone resets, press 2.

If you press another key or do not respond to this prompt within 60 seconds, the will continue with its normal startup process and will not reset.

Otherwise, the phone goes through the factory reset process.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7960g_7940g/5_0/sip/english/administration/guide/7960trbS.html#wp1097757

There is also this alternate reset sequence?

Power off the phone.

Hold down the # key.

While holding #, connect an AC adaptor to the phone.

Continue to hold # until the line buttons blink amber.

Release the # key.

Enter 3491672850*#

The lights should change color from amber to red. When this occurs, the phone is resetting to factory defaults.

Note: It is important to try this procedure with a external power supply.

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

have you physically disconnected the phone and reconnected? or done a shut no shut on the switch interface its connected to.

I had similar problem with phones updating across a 384K WAN connection, by resetting the phone on the CCM and doing the above they eventually came online took about 30 minutes to do the upgrade.

HTH

Richard.

vsergeyev
Level 1
Level 1

Check tftp server on this phone - may be it try to load software from another tftp server (that has no this software). I have the same problem when I install new devicepack only on one CUCM and phone tried to load new software from CUCM without it.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Randy,

Hope all is well! As nicely suggested, I would go and disconnect the phone and then re-connect. Make sure to carefully watch the attempted upgrade process. You may be able to see what firmware file the phone is requesting before it fails. If you do see what it is looking for perhaps you could try loading this firmware on just the one phone (via the Phone Configuration Page :)

Hope this helps!

Rob

PS: You should be able to see this via "wireshark" etc.

I have both physically and on ccm disconnected and reconnected.

The first thing I wanted to check was to make sure I was going to the correct tftp server, however all the buttons on the phone are not working while rebooting and upgrading. I can not check the network settings.

Rob I am down to your suggestion :-) The phone looks like it is doing the right thing but I will check further.

rlp

Rob still working on this. The display shows it is trying to upgrade to the file I have on the tftp server. SCCP41.8-3-3SR2S

It just keep cycleing. all the buttons are not working so I can not see if the IP for the tftp is correct and any changes I made in ccm will not take affect anyway until it registers with ccm. I did try putting the phoneload name in there.

question now finally :-)

do you know how I can set the phone back to factory defalts without geting into network settings?

rlp

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Randy,

Performing a Basic Reset

Performing a basic reset of a Cisco Unified IP Phone provides a way to recover if the phone experiences an error and provides a way to reset or restore various configuration and security settings.

A basic reset resets any user and network configuration changes that you have made but that the phone has not written to its Flash memory to previously-saved settings, then restarts the phone.

To perform a basic reset, hold down the * and the 6 keys, and press the Settings button.

Performing a Factory Reset

When you perform a factory reset of the Cisco Unified IP Phone, the following information is erased or reset to its default value:

•CTL file-Erased

•User configuration settings-Reset to default values

•Network configuration settings-Reset to default values (optional)

•Locale information-Reset to default value

•Call histories-Erased

To perform a factory reset of a phone, perform the following steps.

Note The phone must be on a DHCP-enabled network before you can perform these steps.

Procedure

Step 1 Unplug the power cable from the phone and then plug it back in.

The phone begins its power up cycle.

Step 2 Immediately press and hold # while the Headset, Mute, and Speaker buttons turn on and off in sequence.

Release # after the Speaker button turns off.

The Headset, Mute, and Speaker buttons flash in sequence to indicate that the phone is waiting for you to enter the key sequence for the reset.

Step 3 Press 123456789*0# within 60 seconds after the Headset, Mute, and Speaker buttons begin to flash.

If you repeat a key within the sequence (for example, if you press 1223456789*0#), the sequence will still be accepted and the phone will reset.

If you do not complete this key sequence or do not press any keys, the Headset, Mute, and Speaker buttons will stop flashing after 60 seconds and the phone will continue with its normal startup process. The phone will not reset.

If you enter an invalid key sequence, the buttons will stop flashing immediately and the phone will continue with its normal startup process. The phone will not reset.

If you enter this key sequence correctly, the phone displays this prompt:

Keep network cfg? 1 = yes 2 = no

Step 4 To maintain existing network configuration settings for the phone when the phone resets, press 1. To reset network configuration settings when the phone resets, press 2.

If you press another key or do not respond to this prompt within 60 seconds, the will continue with its normal startup process and will not reset.

Otherwise, the phone goes through the factory reset process.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7960g_7940g/5_0/sip/english/administration/guide/7960trbS.html#wp1097757

There is also this alternate reset sequence?

Power off the phone.

Hold down the # key.

While holding #, connect an AC adaptor to the phone.

Continue to hold # until the line buttons blink amber.

Release the # key.

Enter 3491672850*#

The lights should change color from amber to red. When this occurs, the phone is resetting to factory defaults.

Note: It is important to try this procedure with a external power supply.

Hope this helps!

Rob

worked like a charm, thx again Rob

Hi Randy,

You are most welcome my friend :) Glad to be of some small help.

Take care,

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: