cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP Graphing Memory Utilization on CSS

mmedwid
Level 3
Level 3

I am trying to graph memory utilization on the CSS. Can someone verify if I am taking the correct approach? The "show system command I get..

Installed Memory: 268,435,456 (256 MB)

Free Memory: 137,167,520 (130 MB)

..which is 50.8%. But my graphing of the OID below gives my 48.88 to 48.9%. Because of the variance it is not clear to me I am actually capturing and calculating the desired value. Insight is most appreciated!

#

+ # memory

+ # (used Mem/used Mem + free Mem) * 100

+ ((apChassisMgrExtSubModuleInstalledMemory.1 -

+ apChassisMgrExtSubModuleSystemHeapFree.1)/apChassisMgrExtSubModuleInst

+ alledMemory.1) * 100, Percent Mem Usage

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Graphing the memory is anyway not very useful.

It will most probabley never changed because the CSS pre-allocate memory to handle traffic.

Unless you have a lot of active connections, which would require the CSS to allocate more memory, it will not change.

This is more interesting to look at the 'flow stat' and determine the number of active FCB and free FCB.

1 FCB is a block of memory required to track a connection.

The CSS hsa allocated a bunch of FCB at startup.

That's what you want to monitor.

Gilles.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Graphing the memory is anyway not very useful.

It will most probabley never changed because the CSS pre-allocate memory to handle traffic.

Unless you have a lot of active connections, which would require the CSS to allocate more memory, it will not change.

This is more interesting to look at the 'flow stat' and determine the number of active FCB and free FCB.

1 FCB is a block of memory required to track a connection.

The CSS hsa allocated a bunch of FCB at startup.

That's what you want to monitor.

Gilles.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: