cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1250 802.11n wpa tkip compatible?

joseph.kukis
Level 1
Level 1

We just got a 1250 AP and are trying to configure 802.11n on it. We were using WPA(Enterprise) and TKIP and I got the message below:

Apr 8 14:24:12: %DOT11-4-NO_HT: Interface Dot11Radio0, Mcs rates disabled on vlan 132 due to not using AES encryption or encryption is not disabled

Users who connected got only speeds up to 54Mb/s.

I changed the ciphers to use AES-CCM instead of TKIP, the message went away and hosts were able to connect with 802.11n speeds.(m1.,m2.,etc)

The log message makes it seem like you have to use AES, is this the case or do I need to add something to the config?

Thanks,

Joe

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

802.11N standard doesn't support WPA-TKIP.... you have to use AES.... Most likey WPA2-AES....

I learned the hard way too.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

802.11N standard doesn't support WPA-TKIP.... you have to use AES.... Most likey WPA2-AES....

I learned the hard way too.

-Scott

Correct, 802.11n must be either secured with WPA2/AES OR Open to be able to get the N rates.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thanks. Right now we are only evaluating 'n' but it is definitely good to know what exactly you can/can't do with it.

Can 802.11g & 802.11a clients still connected with WPA (enterprise) and TKIP on a 1250 AP?

Yes.... but when you try to enable 40mhz channel width, users will not be able to authenticate. You should start to migrate users to WPA2 if possible.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card