cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2900 XL switch "Command authorization failed"

southminder
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to reset my password on my Catalyst 2900 XL switch. I followed these instructions:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_password_recovery09186a0080094184.shtml

and I can successfully "reload the configuration file" in step 12 and reach step 13.

But once I type in "configure terminal" it tells me this:

"Command authorization failed."

So it won't let me into configuration mode to actually change the password and I have no clue why? So basically at this point my switch is useless to me... Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Do this instead. do you see the step where your switch name is Switch# ? This means that your password recovery was successful and the config has been wiped out. Dont worry about renaming the config back because that brings the old configuration back to the switch. you have a unique configuration there that prohibits you from going to config mode based on some type of AAA configuration on there. From that prompt go to config t, and create a password. Then do a "copy run start" Then you will have a switch that you can do whatever you want with.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

mattcalderon
Level 4
Level 4

It sounds like you don't have permission to issue this command. This can be set up using AAA. If you issue a sho run, have you verified you are working with a clean switch?

Here is a little information on that.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2900xl_3500xl/release12.0_5_wc5/swg/swsyst.html#wp1045589

smothuku
Level 7
Level 7

Hi ,

CAn you paste "sh run" of the switch.I think AAA is congured on the switch which is not permitting the commands...

Is it in the network ?

Thanks,

Satish

mcrp4s1c1#sh run

Command authorization failed.

mcrp4s1c1#show ver

mcrp4s1c1#conf t

Seeing that you still have a host name on your switch tells me that there is a config still on there. You need to double check the password recovery and verify you wiped the config.

I never wiped the config, I've never been able to. This is the way that it was when I first got it, so I've been trying to reset the password ever since so that I can start fresh. Unfortunately it seems to be well password protected and I'm not having any luck. Is there a way I can somehow wipe the config without trying to gain access first or is there some other way to reset the password to gain access? This switch is not in business use.

You have followed this step from the document?

copy flash:config.text system:running-config

yes of course:

Switch#copy flash:config.text system:running-config

Destination filename [running-config]?

Cannot open logging port to 132.183.99.18

7378 bytes copied in 20.861 secs (368 bytes/sec)

mcrp4s1c1#conf

mcrp4s1c1#

Do this instead. do you see the step where your switch name is Switch# ? This means that your password recovery was successful and the config has been wiped out. Dont worry about renaming the config back because that brings the old configuration back to the switch. you have a unique configuration there that prohibits you from going to config mode based on some type of AAA configuration on there. From that prompt go to config t, and create a password. Then do a "copy run start" Then you will have a switch that you can do whatever you want with.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: