cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 501 running 6.3 startup-config

dbuttry
Level 1
Level 1

I have several remote PIX 501s that have VPNs back to my location. I have remote telnet access via the VPN connection. I would like to change the configurations so the VPNs terminate to my ASA rather than my older 3030. Is there anyway to modify the startup-config on a PIX 501 running 6.3? There is no copy tftp start-up command, only a configure net command which merges the config to running. This wont work for me since I need to also change inside IP addresses which is how I am connected. I really need to change startup config and reload.

Thanks. Doug

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

srue
Level 7
Level 7

the best solution (and easiest) i've found for that situation is to configure ssh to the outside interface from just the IP you're coming from...

then ssh into it and change peers, your ssh session won't be disconnected then, and you can still troubleshoot remotely.

View solution in original post

Try...

ca gen rsa key 1024

ssh 0 0 outside

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

srue
Level 7
Level 7

the best solution (and easiest) i've found for that situation is to configure ssh to the outside interface from just the IP you're coming from...

then ssh into it and change peers, your ssh session won't be disconnected then, and you can still troubleshoot remotely.

Thanks for your reply however I can not get that to work. I even tried telnet (i know thats not secure) and still can not connect to it. Even tried changing "management-access inside" to outside and locked myself out of one until I had them reboot. Any ideas? Thanks!

Try...

ca gen rsa key 1024

ssh 0 0 outside

Thanks so much! Once I figured out to use "pix" as the username and {telnet password} as the password, I'm in!

yeah, the username pix throws off a lot of people....

thanks for the rating btw.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card