cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS VPN Configuration for CE and Questions

keyyo0200
Level 1
Level 1

1.Can anyone direct me to some good MPLS configuration for the Customer Edge router?

2. We are currently using frame-relay does MPLS work over frame-relay or how this work?

3.What questions do I need to ask the service provider?

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1) A CE router will be configured as any normal WAN router where you peer with the SP router. The CE router has no knowledge of MPLS or MPLS VPN's, it just peers with the SP PE router. What you do need to do is agree with your SP as to how your CE and their PE will peer ie. with static routes/EIGRP/OSPF/BGP.

2) Yes

3) As mentioned you need to agree how your CE and their PE will exchange routes and you obviously need IP addresses for your CE -> PE link.

Jon

HI, [Pls Rate all Informative POST]

In addition to JON POST,

In a Normal Scenario, the VRF tagging will be added from the SP PE Interface and the same will be stripped OFF once it's getting out of SP Cloud.

The VRF Labels are maintained inside the SP Cloud, since VRF has Unique routing instance over the Global IP Routing Table.

In addition, for any MPLS Customer between PE - CE a /30 Private Segment will be assigned by SP for the WAN Interfaces.

Running a Static Routes or any DYNAMIC Protocol on the LAST MILE is based on the aggrement between the SP and the Customer.

Hope I am Informative.

Do Rate all Informative POST

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: