cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Migration Question

joeharb
Level 5
Level 5

We have a customer that has a Exchange server that hosts both email and voicemail...They are wanting to get rid of the exchange server...(move the email to a exchange service provided by my company)and move the voicemail users to the unity server. This seems to be the opposite of what I have seen done in the past...Can anyone give me any ideas of how to do this...Can I simply do a Exchange mail box move?..

Joe

5 Replies 5

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Depends. If the customer wants to go to a "Voicemail only" configuration with Unity, meaning they will only have TUI access, then they can keep an Exchange server onsite for voicemail, and then host email with you.

If they are a "unified messaging" setup with Unity, it will not work. Unity and exchange need to be co-located. (per cisco)

From what I understand they don't want Unified Messaging...they would like to move the exchange functions to the unity box for vm. The main thing I understand that the customer wants to get rid of the exchange box they have now...

Thanks,

Joe

You can have the following:

Exchange 2003/Unity 5.x on the same box.

I would recommend a complete reload of Unity and Exchange if this is going to happen.

Exchange 2007 off box, Unity 5.x on it's own. Again, reload.

Their current enviroment is Unity 4.0(3), voicemail and email on seperate exchange server. I assume I could bring up a new server with Unity 5.X and Exchange and import the users mailboxes to the new server?.....they currently have CCM 5.1(3) installed and are going to upgrade to 6.1 soon...Is there a way to combine with Unity Connection the vm and the callmangers?

Joe

Ok, so you brought up a great great point. Unity connection would be perfect for them. All voicemails will be stored on the connection server. I'm think their is a migration license from Unity to Unity connection. Check with a cisco account manager. But with the new tool called "COBRAS" you can migrate callhandlers and subscribers from Unity to Unity Connection. It's not TAC supported yet, but it's worth a try. Worst case, rebuild the CallHandlers on Unity Connection and new Subscriber's Unity Connection.

Correction, can not migrate Unity to Unity connection YET. only same versions. So it would be a rebuild. but they would eliminate Exchange all together!

here is cobra's help file.

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/COBRAS/Help/COBRAS.htm

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: