cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LWAP Basics

c.cornett
Level 1
Level 1

What information is stored on the LWAP and where on the LWAP can the informataion be found ?

What information is stored on the controller?

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The WLC holds all the configurations for the LWAP. So if someone steals your LWAP, there is no info that he or she can get.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Limited information - AP name, Static IP address if configured, Primary, Secondary & Tertiary WLC controllers - if they have been primed. No WLAN,VLAN or encryption key information is kept on the Ap's.

The reason I ask is that we stage APs for the field and the question was asked, if you do all the configuration for the LWAP on the controller then what happens when you take the LWAP off the staging controller(configured exactly as the production controller in the field) and place it in the field on the production controller? Does the information such as LWAP nanme and other settings stay with the LWAP or do you have to reenter all this information into the production controller?

With all this being said, it appears that you still need to do some configuring once the LWAP has been plugged in on site.

Thank you for the responses it has been helpfull.

It depends how you stage the AP's. Usually I will stage them on the production ap just to verify that the ap has joined and that the ap has all the configurations required. If you stage the ap on a test WLC and then put it into a production envoronment, you will most likely have to stage the ap again. By this, I mean, you have to have the ap jion the primary WLC so that the ap gets the mobility info from the primary which includes the secondary and tertiary wlc info. The ap name, ip address (static/dhcp) ,any info you configured under the ap will stay.

Hope this didn't confuse you more.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

No, what you say makes sense.

Thanks for the information.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card