cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Spanning Tree in a Service Provider Network

jrichesin
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to find out the best way to run spanning-tree in a service provider network. Right now we are running pvst and setting spanning-tree bpdufilter enable on all ports. It seems to me like this is disabling spanning-tree all together. Is this dangerous and what should I be doing? We are using Cisco 3550's.

2 Replies 2

n.nandrekar
Level 4
Level 4

Yes, BPDU filter will put the port in forwarding and not send/recieve BPDUs. It would be better if you enable bpdu-guard too on the port.

The BPDU filtering feature prevents the switch interface from sending or receiving BPDUs.

The BPDU guard feature puts Port Fast-enabled interfaces that receive BPDUs in an error-disabled state.

Regards,

Niranjan

shivlu jain
Level 5
Level 5

as per my experience one should go with the mst with the default instance becasue pvst has limitation of 128 but mst doesnot have. BPDu filter should use on the switch where your access swicthes are termination, the main advantage of the command is that if the port is receiving superior or inferior BPDU it will simply ignore the BPDU. its a BCP to use on access ports.

regards

shivlu

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: