Views
Helpful
Replies

NetView

towli
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I am (of course) trying to populate our Lan with Cisco equipment. However we still have some 3com superstack 3, 4400 switches. Im trying to get a solid overview (which does not exist) of our lan, primarily using (my eyes,reason :) )and CDP neighbors.

However the 3com switches of course does not respond to cdp neighbors.

What is the smartest way to decide what is on the other end of a fiber on a Gig interface of a 3560? (i mean which 3com switch). i know the ip address of the 3coms' management interfaces and i bellieve i somehow can put arp and spanning tree info, into use (?)

What is "best practice" for documenting a non-cisco-Lan (in the absence of CDP)?

Thank you for any help!

2 Replies 2

williamsdo
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, I dont have any 3Com switches on my network but when I am trying to located a device I often use these commands on the switch

"show IP arp xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"

"show mac-address address xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx"

If you use the mac-address command it should show you which port that device is on. Also from the cmd in DOS you might try nslookup command to get host names that might help you identify some units.

HTH

Thank you!

I managed to use spanning tree and deduct the distance from the root from root port. As i knew the ip addresses of the switches i could then arp + show mac-address-table, giving me the interface on which the switches where located.

Thanks again for replying

/T

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card