Views
Helpful
Replies

CM Version Choice

dgoodridge
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've been out of the IPT loop few a couple of years and find myself a little confused as to what version of CM would be recommended for a new install.

My understanding thus far:

4.x - Windows Platform

5.x - Same as 4.x but on Linux

6.x - Same as 5.x (linux only) but with some extra bells and whistles.

Does that sound about right? If so what platform would you go with for a fresh site or does it simply depend on the strategic platform choice?

Many thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Doug,

Yes, that pretty well encapsulates things :)

CCM 5.x is based on CCM 4.1(3) and incorporates that feature set (on a Linux platform). CCM 6.x is based on CCM 4.2(3) and incorporates that feature set (on a Linux platform). The latest CCM 4.x release is CCM 4.3(1) built on Windows server 2003.

I think most people here would advocate going straight to CCM 6.1(1)a

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Doug,

Yes, that pretty well encapsulates things :)

CCM 5.x is based on CCM 4.1(3) and incorporates that feature set (on a Linux platform). CCM 6.x is based on CCM 4.2(3) and incorporates that feature set (on a Linux platform). The latest CCM 4.x release is CCM 4.3(1) built on Windows server 2003.

I think most people here would advocate going straight to CCM 6.1(1)a

Hope this helps!

Rob

Great thanks Rob. So in your opinion the favoured platform in the marketplace is erring towards Linux(if strategic platform choice wasn't an issue)? My personal experiences of 3.x and 4.x on a Windows platform was how should I say 'less than enjoyable'. :)

Hi Doug,

Most people seem to find the Linux Appliance version of CCM much easier to work with. Upgrades can be done on "split partitions" so rolling back to the previous version is much quicker. The feature set in CCM 6.x is pretty vast and the 6.1(1) version seems to have most of the Bugs worked out (most ;-)

CCM 4.2 and 5.0 have both been EoL as well;

EoS and EoL for for the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Version 5.0

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/vcallcon/ps556/prod_end-of-life_notice0900aecd807329a8.html

EOS/EOL for the Cisco Unified CallManager Version 4.2

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/vcallcon/ps556/prod_end-of-life_notice0900aecd806ec7a2.html

That being said, CCM 4.2 and 4.3 are very popular as well, but if I were starting a fresh installation I would go with CCM 6.x.

Cisco CallManager Upgrade Paths and Cisco Unified Communications Product Names

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a008086cc7c.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

Top Notch. Thanks Again. :)

Hi Doug,

You are always welcome! Let us know how you make out with this.

Take care,

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: