cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DFM- thresholds for specific unique ports

js88888888
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking to apply a threshold to one particular port on a single router and get the resulting alerts for that as well. I'm not sure what parameters to use though. Would this be done under Customizable Interface Groups and can I actually the use the port description or some keyword therein as the variable? It is probably the only unique thing about the port on that device.

thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

2% utilization on a 100 Mbps full-duplex port would equate to 2 Mbps sustained in one direction.

To remove group customization, edit the desired group's properties, and remove the ruleset. You should apply changes after doing so.

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

js88888888
Level 1
Level 1

Also.... why can't we rename the Customizeable Groups? Hard coded read-only so DFM doesn't blow up? Seems like a delicate application, at least 2.0.10 does.

Hard coded so DFM doesn't blow up is as good a reason as any. Due to the integration between the Cisco and the EMC pieces of DFM, it was easier to leave the group names static. However, their descriptions can be changed.

js88888888
Level 1
Level 1

OK, I'm trying to use a few attributes but am not sure which to use since DFM has its own little unique set of "naming".

I tried using the configured "description" in the port config under a few "name" properties in a custom interface group but that doesn't seem to be working.

DFM lists other attributes when I drill down to the interface;

Element Name - appears to be unique to the device

Display Name - definitely unique globally.

Description - Generic.....

Port Number- Not even sure where it gets this number but it doesn't correspond to the actual port number. I think these are unique within the device.

Are any of these fields usable for creating a custom interface group?

Hopefully you're still using one of the Customizable Interface Groups, and you haven't created a new group. If so, and you want to group ONE interface on ONE router, the best ruleset to use is:

Interface.Name equals "NAME"

Where NAME is the Element Name for the interface as seen in the Detailed Device View. For example, I have a 7206 router with an interface called IF-nms-7206a.rtp.cisco.com/3. If I wanted to modify a group that matched only that interface, my ruleset would be:

Interface.Name equals "IF-nms-7206a.rtp.cisco.com/3"

Once the ruleset is good, you need to go to DFM > Configuration > Polling and Thresholds > Setting Priorities and float the modified group up to the top of Interface Threshold Groups. Then you need to Apply changes.

After doing those two steps, you should be able to go to DFM > Configuration > Polling and Thresholds > Managing Thresholds, find your modified customizable group, then click View. In the window that pops up, click View Interfaces, and you should see your matched interface.

Now you can adjust the thresholds as you desire.

Thanks JC. I did that but the group doesn't show any applicable interfaces. I used the Element Name verbatim as the value then bumped that group up to the top for Interface Threshold Groups priorities. I'll double check, might have missed a space somewhere in the value string.

You MUST go to DFM > Configuration > Polling and Thresholds > Apply Changes after changing your priorities. If you do not do that, your changes will have no effect.

I have done that last step (apply changes)but its still showing empty.

A set of screenshots would be helpful to see exactly what you've done so I can see if there are any obvious issues. I just tested this on another server, and it worked fine.

Quick question just so I'm sure its not a simple syntax issue. Each of the ports on that router show an element name of "PORT-devicame.domain.com/x.x". I assume that "PORT" part is normal? Also, the Display Name shows the above line plus the configured description line in brackets. Would that be useful as variable?

And, what is the deal on that Port Number value? I'm not quite sure what logic is used but would that be unique? They are just 3 digit numericals (450, 504, etc) showing up in DFM Device Details.

thanks!

oh and, this is not a trunk port so would there be a need to configure this custom group under Access Port groups vs. Interface port groups?

What type of device, and what is the name of the port/interface?

It would be useful to see a screenshot. But since these are ports and not interfaces, you will have to configure the group under one of the customizable port groups. DFM considers trunk ports to be any switch port which connects to another managed device. All other ports are access ports.

This a single 10/100 port on a 6509 which connects to our core router which is where all of our internet flows through. So since both of those devices are managed and it would then be considered a trunk port in DFM?

If both devices are managed via DFM, then yes, it would be a trunk port. You can verify this by going to the same Manage Thresholds view for either trunk ports are access ports and see where this port is matched.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco