CCIE R/S Written Recertification

Unanswered Question
Apr 10th, 2008

Before I ask the question, I just want to stipulate that I have not opened the book yet. Question: Is the material on MPLS in Wendell Odom's book sufficient for the exam? It is the subject I have the least experience on, and quite frankly, no need to learn at current position.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jim_berlow Thu, 04/10/2008 - 10:53

I'm also working on the recert. Odom's book is a good if you just need a refresher on the topic (kind of like the rest of the topics in his book). If you don't already know the subject, then I suggest purchasing (or checking out on Safari Online) MPLS and VPN architectures Vol I by Pepelnjak to learn the details. There is a Vol II, but reading Vol I will probably be enough to get you through.

Good Luck!

svermill Mon, 04/14/2008 - 14:29

Hey Jim,

I found Vol I to be too dated, personally. Most of the CLI references/examples are to the old proprietary "tag switching." MPLS was in its very infancy as of the time of its publication, so I found reading it to be mildly insight full, but also fairly frustrating. There are far more recent texts on offer. I'm on the road so I don't have my library in front of me, but I believe "MPLS Fundamentals" was the title of a pretty good read.

Generically speaking, the Cert Guide does not always penetrate as deeply as you might like. I guess "guide" is the operative word, in that if it touches on a subject and you're left wanting, you might want to look at additional sources.

Regards,

Scott

Actions

This Discussion