cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Enabling IP accounting

wgranada1
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry I tried to find this myself before posting but wasn't able to find. Question is how do I enable IP accounting on the router? All I did was go to the interface in this case my s0/0/0 and entered ip accounting. Then just did a show ip accounting and I don't get anything...am I missing something?

What I'm trying to do is see what ip are traveling through my router

Just a FYI I'm trying to do it on a Serial interface.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

CEF should be enabled at all times. No need to disable CEF unless you are troubleshooting packets. CEF accelerates the forwarding mechanism in the router.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, ip accounting is really really outdated now. You can enable netflow and then see the statistics with a client like prtg or few commands on the router itself.

How do I enable netflow, is it port specifig or do I just enable it on the router. You also mention that I can see the stats on the router via a few commands what are they please?

You will always find the documentation to be your best friend

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4/netflow/configuration/guide/onf_bcf.html

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thanks Edison....is this more accurate than using ip accounting on the routers?

They are both accurate but NetFlow provides more information such as the type of flow.

IP Accounting just display the source and destination and incrementing packets for the last 5 minutes.

With NetFlow, you can export this information to a collector and archive it for later viewing.

Please take a moment and read the link I provided. It shows you sample configs that you can follow, how the output should look and troubleshooting section.

Good luck !

__

Edison.

one more things....I see to use netflow you have to enable CEF and CEF isn't enable on the router for some reason. The person that would know I replaced so I'm not sure why CEF isn't enabled. Question is if I enable CEF on this 3845 router would it have an adverse effects on the router? I would experiment but they need this information right away and I cannot wait till the weekend. All I'm looking for is source/destination IPs. I have already set it up on the core interface that leads to my internal network. But I noticed that it reset.

CEF should be enabled at all times. No need to disable CEF unless you are troubleshooting packets. CEF accelerates the forwarding mechanism in the router.

ok thank you I will enable it now then,let you know how things went.

Hi Edison ,

Could you help me with  IP accouting command and give me an idea about each output fields

Ashok09
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 
Anyone tried to enable the IP accounting output packets in C9200 switch  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card