Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 4500 series switch

lazon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am new to Multilayer switching (Catalyst 4510 series) and I want to configure my Catalyst 4510 switch to have Inter-VLAN communication. Can somebody please guide me or point me to the exact configuration for Inter-VLAN routing. Thank you for your help.

-chie

6 Replies 6

Istvan_Rabai
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Narciso,

A simple example of configuring a switch with 3 vlans and intervlan routing:

[enable ip routing]

ip routing

[configure the vlans]

vlan 2

exit

vlan 3

exit

vlan 4

exit

[configure the vlan interfaces]

interface vlan 2

ip address 10.2.0.0 255.255.0.0

interface vlan 3

ip address 10.3.0.0 255.255.0.0

interface vlan 2

ip address 10.4.0.0 255.255.0.0

[configure access ports in the vlans]

interface range fa1/0 - 15

switchport

switchport access vlan 2

switchport mode access

interface range fa2/0 - 15

switchport

switchport access vlan 3

switchport mode access

interface range fa3/0 - 15

switchport

switchport access vlan 4

switchport mode access

For this to work, you don't have to configure a routing protocol, as routing will take place between the vlan interfaces by default.

If you need more help in configuring other features, like you have more switches, more vlans, you need to configure routing protocols, access-lists etc., just write me and I will help you.

Cheers:

Istvan

Istvan,

Thanks a lot for your response, now it will give a better understanding about Inter-VLAn routing.

-Narciso

Hello again,

I presume that this configuration applies to any Multilayer switch model? Thanks again.

Hi Narciso,

Yes, this config is general enough to be applied in any Cisco multilayer switch.

Cheers:

Istvan

Hi Istvan,

What is the exact connection if you have a PIX firewall in place? Is it like this Internet--Router---PIX---Core Switch---Access layer switch. If this is the case from the core switch what will be your default gateway? Is Inter-VLAN communication be affected? Thanks again.

Regards,

Narciso

Hi Narciso,

This can be a suitable connection order.

The default gateway should be the multilayer switch (or router) that is closest to the access layer hosts.

In this case probably the Core Switch, which should operate in layer3 mode, where the Access layer switches are a layer2 switches.

Inter-vlan communication is generally not affected. The Core Switch should be able to manage it independently of the presence of the firewall and the Internet-router.

Cheers:

Istvan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card