cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New LMS3 install - DFM stuck learning

simon.bell
Level 1
Level 1

I've got a fresh install of LMS3.0.1 and setup DFM to auto import from DCR. It's been a few days now and DFM is still in the learning status. We've got about 2200 devices, should it take that long? There are zero devices for all the other states (known, pending etc.)

TIA

7 Replies 7

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What percentage are these devices stuck at in discovery? 10%, 40%..?

100% all devices are still in the learning status. I also noticed just now when clicking on DFM > Configuration > Polling and Thresholds > Polling Parameters I get an error:

Could not retrieve current data since the PTMServer process is down.

Please restart the process and perform this operation again.

However ptmserver is running... (Program started - No mgt msgs received) I've stopped and started it a few times, but i still get the same error.

I meant are the stuck at 10% learning, 40% learning? Not the quantity of devices stuck

humm... now can i determine that?

looking around in the bug tracking it looks like i'm hitting bug CSCsm76320

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&from=myNotification&bugId=CSCsm76320

I know it says there's no workaround, but does anyone know what the root cause is? perhaps a software conflict or something?

tia

There is another bug CSCsm04957.

Perhaps this one is what you are hitting if you have .Net Framework 2.0 SP1 or 3.0, please uninstall it.

-Andrzej

I'm working with a TAC engineer at the moment and at first she thought it was a DNS issue due to errors in PTMServer.log and DFMLogServer.

PTMServer.log:

14 Apr 2008|12:27:53.308|ERROR|PTM_Log|Thread-38|||.|PTInformer:publishPTMStarupMessage:PTA not available or not responding:com.cisco.nm.vhm.vpta.PTAException: com.cisco.nm.xms.ctm.common.CTMException: URN_NOT_FOUND : urn "VPTA" : Not found !!

DFMLogServer.log:

14/Apr/2008 15:34:32:471 ERROR ? ? - URN_NOT_FOUND : urn "VPTA" : Not found !!

however DNS was working fine so we dumped the DFM db's copied a new sm_sms.dll library to CSCOpx\objects\smarts\lib and started the services back up. So far (fingers crossed) DFM is behaving properly. DFM is now moving devices from learning to known and we're currently @ 40% complete. Also the configuration screens are no longer throwing error messages.

simon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: