cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dynamic Vlan with multiple vlan per port

nyair.net
Level 1
Level 1

I have been trying to use VMPS to assign vlans by MAC which seems to work some what how ever it denies anything after the first request more specifically if the vlan is different. Is it possible to have multiple vlans on a single port assigned per mac.

My exact application is i have fixed wireless broadband access equipement without builtin vlan support and im looking to:

Segregate the access and cpe equipment into one management vlan and the customer equipment into others.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Reply 1

keeleym
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Nyair

I have never worked with or configured VMPS, only touched on it in my BCMSN studies, but it was my understanding that by default the switch ports can be a member of any VLAN at any given time.

The switch ports VLAN assignment will depend on what VLAN is configured for the MAC address of the equipment plugged into the port on the VMPS server. And as you can only have 1 piece of equipment plugged into a port at the one time, I am not sure why you would need the port to support multiple VLAN's at the same time. And access ports can only be a member of a single VLAN at any given time. Even at the CLI you can not configure a access port into more than 1 VLAN.

If the NIC cards on the equipment being plugged into the switch ports are 802.1Q capable and support VLAN's, then would be not be better to have the switch ports as trunk ports with the required VLAN's "allowed" on the trunks?

Or am I totally missing the point as I have little or no experience to date with wireless networking.

Best Regards,

Michael

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card