cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Assigned DN's on 7914 Expansion Module Picked up Automatically

overbc01
Level 1
Level 1

When a user has a phone with a 7914 Expansion Module, a ringing line on the expansion module will be picked up without being selected if the user picks up the handset. In our case, users with 7914 Expansion Modules only want to see if somebody is on the telephone, they do not want to pick up the calls. Is there anyway to block the automatic pickup of calls for extensions on the expansion module?

17 Replies 17

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Which CM or CME system do you have ? Depending on that configure the lines as monitor or BLF.

We are using Call Manager 4.1.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Carol,

Just to add a note to the good hints from my friend Paolo :)

There is a Setting called "Always Use Prime Line" if this is set to True, the Handset will only pick up calls ringing in on the Prime Line. If it is set to False, picking up the handset will Pickup any ringing call. It sounds like your setup has this set to False.

In order to change this parameter, log in to the Cisco CallManager Administration page and perform these steps:

From the Service menu, choose Service Parameters.

Choose Publisher CallManager Server > Cisco CallManager service.

Under the Clusterwide Parameters (Device - Phone) section, scroll down to the Always Use Prime Line parameter, choose True for this parameter, and click Update.

Note: The default value for the Always Use Prime Line parameter is False. If the flag is set to True, when the phone goes off-hook or the speaker button is pressed, then the primary line is chosen and becomes the active line. If a call comes in on the second line of a user, going off-hook makes only the first line active. In this case, the user must select the second line in order to answer the call. If the flag is set to False, the phone automatically chooses a line as the active line based on the line status.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_qanda_item09186a00800a6763.shtml#q39

Hope this helps!

Rob

Rob,

Thank you. This is really helpful information. One other question..... is there anyway to do this on a per phone basis or is it always clusterwide?

Hi Carol,

You are most welcome :) Sadly, this is not available on a Device by Device basis as of yet. Only system wide;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a0080874d8e.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

Rob,

Thanks again. This is all very helpful.

Carol

Rob,

Hope that you are doing good my friend..

Need help here... just wanna confirm that a 7914 expansion module can only be used to monitor / pickup calls.. it can never be used to make calls...I don't think so..

Thanks,

Abhijit..

Hi Abhijit,

Things are going well :) The patch we received from Cisco made the Upgrade go smoothly! Hope things are looking up for you as well! You can configure the 7914 many ways, one of which would have standard Incoming and Outgoing lines. It "can" be used to make calls. I have one on my desk right now (quite impressive ;-)

Hope this helps! Take care,

Rob

Rob,

Thanks a lot for the reply. Great to hear that your upgrade went fine. I am doing good.

Well let me give you the back-ground.

There is a 7960 phone connected with a 7914 EM. I created a new softkey template which allowed me to add lines to the EM. Now the person at the remote site can see the 2 lines that I have configured on the 7914. But he says that " I can see the first 2 lines,

But nothing happens when I press each of them. " ..

Is there anything that I have missed here?

Take Care,

Abhijit..

Hi Abhijit,

No worries buddy! So he doesn't hear Dialtone? How about Incoming calls to these two lines? do they ring/can they be answered? Proper CSS/Partition etc?

Rob

Rob,

They are in the same CSS / Partition as the main lines.

I asked the guy in the remote site a few questions, will let you know once I have something concrete...

Take care,

Abhijit.

Hi Rob,

Thanks again. Your reply allowed me to ask the right kind of questions. Turns out the guy wanted only speed dials on the expansion module but the requirement was expressed in a wrong manner.

Configured a new phone button template for 7914 & works swell now. Have a nice day.

Take care,

Abhijit.

Hi Rob,

I was just wondering whether you have any doc that lists the design & implementation of an Auto-Attendant for CUE ( any version, preferably 2.2 ) from scratch. The docs I found were not very descriptive. It will also help if there is something good for CUE script editor.

Take care & happy weekend,

Abhijit.

Hey Abhijit,

For you yes ;-)

Here are some docs to get you started;

Configure and Manage the Cisco Unity Express System Auto Attendant

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps5520/products_configuration_example09186a00803f82eb.shtml

Cisco Unity Express 2.2 Guide to Writing Auto-Attendant Scripts

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity_exp/rel2_2/editor/sample.html

CUE Auto Attendant Design Considerations

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps5520/products_implementation_design_guide_chapter09186a00804993c2.html

Hope this helps! Have a great weekend as well,

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: