Views
Helpful
Replies

Policy Based Routing

dpatkins
Level 1
Level 1

Good afternoon,

I have configured two route maps that I will assign to different interfaces. I am testing with a Cisco 4506 loaded with Version 12.2(37)SG. When I go to assign the route-map to a particular interface, I complete the following commands:

conf t

int gig2/6

and there is no command for ip policy route-map map-tag.

Is there something I am missing on a 4506? It is Cisco IOS version.

Thank you.

Dwane

12 Replies 12

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dwane

Have you configured the interfaces as layer 3 routed interfaces ie.

conf t

int gi2/6

no switchport

If the interfaces are layer 2 switchports which they are by default then the "ip policy ..." command will not be available.

Jon

Jon,

Thanks for the quick response, but I have an ip address on that interface.

interface GigabitEthernet2/6

description test HRC to ERC

no switchport

ip address 192.168.254.1 255.255.255.248

spanning-tree portfast

interface Vlan503

ip address 10.101.254.254 255.255.255.128

ip helper-address 129.111.26.6

ip helper-address 129.111.26.7

no ip redirects

ip route-cache same-interface

no ip route-cache cef

no ip route-cache

These are the two interfaces I would like to assign the Route-maps.

This is weird.

THanks

Dwane

Dwane

Just checked Feature Navigator. IP base image does not support PBR. For PBR you need Enterprise Services.

Which feature set do you have ?

Jon

Jon,

That is what we thought until we went out and read the Guide for 12.2.37 SG and it showed us exactly how to do this? How the heck can you offer up the ability to do route-maps and not the ability to assign the route-maps?

It is the IP based image. cat4500-IPBASEK9-M

Thanks

Dwane

My apologies. I said "how can you offer" when I meant how can Cisco offer the ability to create route-maps and not the ability to assign them? Weird. I will look at upgrading. Can you send me the link that you were refering to for the feature sets?

Thanks again for all your help.

Dwane

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

Search by Platform and then in the drop down box ignore the CatOS entries at the top and scroll down to the 4500 entires under IOS.

I guess the thinking is route-maps can be used for other things than just PBR so you may need them in the IP Base image.

Jon

You need a SupIV or better for PBR. If you are running SupII, it won't support that feature.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Edison,

Here is our sup for this switch:

1 2 Supervisor IV 1000BaseX (GBIC) WS-X4515 JAE1118FGLD

is our Sup.

This is odd.

Dwane

dpatkins
Level 1
Level 1

Edison and Jon,

I think Jon hit right on the head with the PBR not being supported in the IP BASIC IOS. IT is supported in the enterprise version. I am sitll not sure why Cisco would offer the route-map capability with the the ability to assign the route-map to an interface.

THis is all too weird.

Thanks for your help. Great Job. Thanks for the advice.

Dwane

route-map is not only for PBR. You can use route-map for route distribution.

for instance,

router rip

redistribute connected metric 1 route-map test

HTH,

__

Edison.

Edison,

Thank you.

Please view this link for the necessary explanation.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0/qos/configuration/guide/qcpolicy.html

Thanks but I think it is actually an issue with the version I am running. I will acke it on Monday. Have a great weekend and thanks for everyone's help.

Dwane

Dwane

Yes, I know the version you are running isn't capable of supporting PBR. I was merely pointing out the fact that you can use route-map (which is a component of PBR) for other purposes.

The key command for PBR is ip policy route-map.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: