cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading ROMMON of CISCO ISR 2851

navin_rk3
Level 1
Level 1

I am upgrading the Cisco 2851 router rommon from Version 12.4(1r) to recent release C2800NM_RM2.srec.124-13r.T6.

I searched the entire Cisco but couldn't find proper one.

Please anyone help me providing me the upgradation procedure (is it through TFTP or using USB).

Thank you

Navin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You have the correct amount RAM for the IOS that you are using now and the IOS that you plan to use. The problem that you are facing is the amount of flash memory onboard for 2 IOS images. In your case you have to delete the IOS that you are currently using to make room for the new IOS.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Navin,

Heres how to do it VIA TFTP.

upgrade rom-monitor file tftp://path/filename

Example:

Router#upgrade rom-monitor file tftp://1.2.3.4/C2800NM_RM2.srec.124-13r.T6

Mark

Hi Mark,

I went for upgrading the IOS,but it had given me a error saying not enough memory.

Please suggest that whether i need to upgrade my ram or any other hardware.

Attcahing the Sh memory ,version & hardware file.

Thanking u

navi

Navin,

I am confused. Are you wanting to upgrade the IOS or rommon or both? You have a current IOS running on your router now. You don't need to upgrade any physical memory, but would suggest a 128 MB or higher compact flash card if you wish to store multiple IOS on the device. If you have more questions let me know.

Mark

Here is a guide to upgrading IOS:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1828/prod_release_note09186a00800810f3.html

Hi Mark,

Yes i am upgrading Rommon & IOS of router.

In my opinion,the problem is with the Memory because c2800nm-advipservicesk9-mz.124-19.bin IOS needs 256MB RAM & now at present we are having the 162 MB (Show memory),that's why router is showing error.

I want someone should evaluate or verify & tell me that my interpretation is correct.

Can i go with Rommon method upgrading the IOS?

Please confirm me.

I appreciate your speedy reply.

Thank u

Navin

Updating the rommon would be no problem, and I provided the instructions earlier for that. The memory requirements for your current IOS that you are running also requires 256 MB of ram. The problem that you are having is free space on flash. You have to delete the current IOS before you upgrade to a new one.

router#delete flash:c2800nm-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T.bin

You also may need to squeeze the flash

router#squeeze flash

Then copy your new IOS via TFTP

Change your boot image to

boot system flash:c2800nm-advipservicesk9-mz.124-19.bin

FYI you do have 256MB of RAM.

navin_rk3
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mark,

Sorry for late response.

I understood from ur reply that i have to upgrade the router RAM to 256MB & also cleaning of Flash?.

Thanking u

navin

You have the correct amount RAM for the IOS that you are using now and the IOS that you plan to use. The problem that you are facing is the amount of flash memory onboard for 2 IOS images. In your case you have to delete the IOS that you are currently using to make room for the new IOS.

Hi Mark,

Thanks a lot.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco