cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPX for 2801

paulpagecisco
Level 1
Level 1

I just replaced a 2500 router with a 2801 router, configged serial, ethernet, PPP, frame-relay and the rest. I noticed the remote router (2500) and config on replaced 2500 had ipx network 20 on fast ethernet bridge-group and ipx network 1620 on s0/2/0.1 bridge-group.

I was just told the 2801 default software does not support IPX. If we get the advanced enterprise services software we can apparently use IPX on the 2801. Does anyone have any familiarity with this type of configuration or software.

What are the commands, will they be the same as on the 2500's such as ipx routing, etc. Any info on this is greatly appreciated.

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, you need the "entrprise" software set to support ipx, not "advanced ip services". The configuration commands would be the same like on the 2500. When you have both ip and ipx routed, you don't need the bridge configuration anymore, and you should remove them.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

You were correct, I installed the Enterprise and have IPX routing working correctly, now if I could just fix EIGRP and IGRP between old and new routers I might be able to get this site up. I just posted configs for WAN inaccesible. Thanks for your help P.bevilacqua.

Paul

With the correct feature set the IPX routing should work just fine on the 2800 and the commands should be the same.

The question of bridging is interesting. Was the bridging configured on the 2500 before? As I noted in my response in the other thread there may be some protocol other than IP and IPX which is being bridged. Do you have the ability to do packet captures on one of the routers and do protocol analysis to determine if there is traffic on the network that is other than IP and IPX?

[edit] note that I have made suggestions about the IGRP EIGRP issue in the other thread.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card