Views
Helpful
Replies

Internal dialling

Nelson Serrao
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a client using Call Manager 5. There are 2 types of users. First type is admin and they dial 0 to get an outside line. The second type is the residents of the facility who have direct access to the PSTN. Route patterns are configured using route filters based on the Australian numbering plan. The issue here is when the residents try to call each other using the last 4 digits which is their extension. It dials but takes around a minute to connect. This is because of the inter digit timeout i guess. Looks like the phone is expecting more digits but when it finds none dialed, it places the call to the extension. This does not happen when the admin phones are trying to call the residents. I believe this is because all numbers they dial are prefixed with 0 whereas the apartment extensions are in the range 80XX.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

even if you try to configure 80XX that would be the same thing, 8XXXXXXX covers that pattern

what you could possibly try is to use a translation pattern to modify the DIDs, for example if you do not use 7 for outside dialing or any other internal use configure a translation pattern for the 80XX pattern and change that into 70XX.

of course this would mean to change the whole internal extensions to a 70XX instead of 80XX

outside callers would not notice any change in the way they dial, this would only affect internal dialing.

add a prefix to the number and have 5 digit extensions is also a way to do this

Avoiding Overlap of Extension Dialing

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/6x/dialplan.html#wp1043611

as i mentioned what's explained in our SRND is the guideline to a good dial plan design.

if you fall on the overlapping then the consequences are the interdigit timeout and that is WAD.

the only way to get rid of it is to change the dial plan, change the internal DNs or have users dial extradigits for the outside calls pressing something else than 8 for the 1st digit

HTH

javalenc

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

that does sound like interdigit timeout

if you haven't moved the default T_302 then it would take maximum 15 seconds to make the call

does the call gets routed immediately if you press the # key after dialing?

unfortunately the only way to avoid it is to eliminate the overlapping or to change the T_302 for the call to be made faster.

when there's overlapping that is expected and explained in our SRND

HTH

javalenc

HTH

java

Thanks for the response. I tried dialing the 4 digit extension followed by # but it did not work.

Although I would love to, I cannot change the overlapping because there are local PSTN numbers of the format 8XXXXXXX and the site extensions are from 8001-8099 based on the DIDs they have received from the telco.

I was wondering if there was a way to configure a more specific route pattern like 80XX to recognize internal extensions faster. What would the impact be on external number dialing if this was done?

even if you try to configure 80XX that would be the same thing, 8XXXXXXX covers that pattern

what you could possibly try is to use a translation pattern to modify the DIDs, for example if you do not use 7 for outside dialing or any other internal use configure a translation pattern for the 80XX pattern and change that into 70XX.

of course this would mean to change the whole internal extensions to a 70XX instead of 80XX

outside callers would not notice any change in the way they dial, this would only affect internal dialing.

add a prefix to the number and have 5 digit extensions is also a way to do this

Avoiding Overlap of Extension Dialing

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/6x/dialplan.html#wp1043611

as i mentioned what's explained in our SRND is the guideline to a good dial plan design.

if you fall on the overlapping then the consequences are the interdigit timeout and that is WAD.

the only way to get rid of it is to change the dial plan, change the internal DNs or have users dial extradigits for the outside calls pressing something else than 8 for the 1st digit

HTH

javalenc

HTH

java

Thanks for the information. I will follow the 5 digit extension approach and add some unused digit as a prefix.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: