Helpful
Replies

VTP Client Mode

hassan_syed6
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would like to get input on VTP Modes.

We have 3 Modes, Server ( Create, delete, change) VLAN information.

Client Mode where you cannot delete/add or change VLAN.

So if i have a switch 3550 which is in Server Mode, then according to Server Mode, we can create vlans and etc, now lets say i have a Switch running in a CLIENT MODE, i have got users connected on the switch, can i create vlan's to divide my users in different VLAN's. Or is it because my switch is in VTP Client Mode i will not be able to divide my connected users to different VLAN's.

I hope i am clear..can i create VLAN's on a switch running in VTP Client mode to divide my users into different groups. Like VLAN -10 & VLAN-20..etc..

Thanks..

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

If you want to create vlans you will do that on the switch in server mode.

If the switch in client mode, verify it is in the same domain as the server. If it is then all the vlan database info will be sent to the client. This simplifies the vlan building and eliminates the need to allow vlan's across the trunk from the main switches if they were all in server mode doing their own thing.

Advice:

Place one switch as the server, create the domain.

Take the other switch, make it a client and make sure you put in the same domain.

Then build the vlans in the server and your are done. Once you have a host you just configure the port with the correct settings.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In order to create Vlans, the switch must be in VTP transparent or server mode.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure what you are asking here. If you are asking can you create vlans on a switch in VTP client mode then Edison has already answered this.

If you are asking can you have multiple vlans on a switch in client VTP mode then yes you can, you just need to create the vlans on your VTP server switch and the client mode switch needs to be connected to the other switch via a trunk link.

Jon

Hassan,

Jon has given you the correct answer as to how to assign users to different VLANs in the switch running VTP client mode.

I would just add make sure the VTP client switch is in the same VTP domain as the server and set the inter-switch link as trunk port. Once this is done the VTP client switch would learn the VLANs dynamically from the VTP Server and then you could assign the ports on the client switch to whatever VLAN you want to assign to.

HTH

Sundar

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

If you want to create vlans you will do that on the switch in server mode.

If the switch in client mode, verify it is in the same domain as the server. If it is then all the vlan database info will be sent to the client. This simplifies the vlan building and eliminates the need to allow vlan's across the trunk from the main switches if they were all in server mode doing their own thing.

Advice:

Place one switch as the server, create the domain.

Take the other switch, make it a client and make sure you put in the same domain.

Then build the vlans in the server and your are done. Once you have a host you just configure the port with the correct settings.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card