Views
Helpful
Replies

PPP and HDLC..........!

gauravshar
Level 2
Level 2

Hi all,

I have multiple MPLS poin to point links and want to make a bundle of these multiple links. I've been searching google a lot about it but could not find any satisfactory document on it. Kindly provide me the link/config-template if anyone of you have it.

Thanks and regards,

--gaurav

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

gaurav

If the links are HDLC then there is not any way to bundle them into a single logical entity. For PPP links it may be possible to use ppp multilink to bundle multiple links into a single logical entity. But without knowing how the links are used in MPLD it is hard to know whether multilink would be appropriate.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick, thanks for the reply. I have made a dummy config, just want you to veryfy if it is doable or not.

interface Serial0/0:1

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

ppp multilink

multilink-group 1

interface Serial0/1:1

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

ppp multilink

multilink-group 1

interface Multilink1

ip address 172.20.122.22 255.255.255.252

ppp multilink

multilink-group 1

interface Tunnel0

bandwidth 1544000

ip address 192.168.1.6 255.255.255.252

load-interval 30

Keepalive 10 3

tunnel source 172.20.122.22

tunnel destination 172.22.154.118

The tunnel interface at other side will have config like:

interface Tunnel0

bandwidth 1544000

ip address 192.168.1.5 255.255.255.252

load-interval 30

Keepalive 10 3

tunnel source 172.22.154.118

tunnel destination 172.20.122.22

Moreover, >>But without knowing how the links are used in MPLD it is hard to know whether multilink would be appropriate>>

What exactly you want to know abt how the links are used in MPLS?

thanks and regards,

--gaurav

gaurav

I am not clear why you would run a GRE tunnel with its source and destination as the end point of the multipoint link. But if you want to do it this config looks reasonable - assuming that the router on the other end also has 2 serial links configured as part of the multilink bundle similar to what the first router has.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Gaurav:

I haven't configured MLP in a while, plus I just got home from a lounge, so I am a bit plastered (lol), but if I recall correctly, you do not need the multilink-group 1 command line under the Multilink interface itself. The "1" in interface Multilink 1 is the group number that binds the physical interfaces to the Multilink virtual interface.

Other than that, it looks good to me. But you should search Cisco's website to be sure. I am sure there arre plenty of examples of how to configure MLP.

Thanks

HTH

Victor

OH, alright. I'll do that, Victor.

Rick, victor

Unfortunately I do not have same, two serial interfaces at the other end of the tunnel. There I have a DS3/T3 interface, I'm planning to have subinterfaces created and then the tunnel interface with respective BW, source IP and destination IP. why I'm creating subinterface is because the DS3/T3 interface will provide BW to three remote sites.......

Is it OK what I'm planning to do......!

--gaurav

gaurav

I understand having subinterfaces on the DS3 and why you do this. I do not understand running the GRE tunnel over the multilink.

To have PPP multilink work on your end there must also be functioning multilink on the other end. You are getting into an aspect that I have never done myself and have not seen done, which is to run PPP multilink on a group of channels within a DS3. It may be ok and work just fine.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card