Views
Helpful
Replies

cat 2960

anitachoi3
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I will order CAT 2960 switches "Cisco Catalyst 2960-24TT-L". I check the spec of ethernet switch from following link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/product_data_sheet0900aecd80322c0c.html

I guess the "switch fabric" to be the "back plate switching"

I do not know what the "Mpps" stand for and the function. where can I find it?

e.g. Catalyst 2960PD-8TT-L: 2.7 Mpps

Rdgs

4 Replies 4

Istvan_Rabai
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Anita,

Mpps stands for Million packets per second.

Cheers:

Istvan

Hi,

it means that "Catalyst 2960-24TT-L: 6.5 Mpps" should have 6.5 x 64 = 416 M (b/w per port). The total "back plate" should be 10G. Is it correct?

rdgs

Hi Anita,

I was looking for the exact definition of the "Forwarding Rate" but I could not find it anywhere.

If someone has a good definition for it can you please share it with us.

Thank you:

Istvan

Hi,

Forwarding rate is the number of packets that can be pushed/routed through the switch in a second. Unit - Mpps.

The backplane is a set of physical connections (traces) and/or silicon which provide connectivity between line cards or interfaces in case of a non-modular switch. Unit - Gbps/Tbps.

There is another term associated with switches "non-blocking/blocking switches" I thought would be worth mentioning - It's a popular marketing term that refers broadly to the ability of a switch to handle independent packets simultaneously. For example, suppose a packet is traveling from port A to port B when a new packet arrives on port C. A ``nonblocking'' switch will accept and process the new packet before it completes the previous transfer. If the new packet is destined for port A or B (which are currently busy), the switch will queue the incoming packet until the destination port becomes available. Of course, the queue is finite; even a nonblocking switch must eventually reject packets (i.e., must eventually block).

There is a good link on this - http://i.cs.hku.hk/~atctam/phdthesis/node25.html

>> Sushil

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card