Views
Helpful
Replies

Beginner needs help!

sandman420
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

So totally new to cisco it's not funny! I just bought a cisco 1751 32m/16m on e-bay, and tried to load a new ios on it. it came w/ 12.2(4) and i loaded 12.4(17a). Thankfully I decided to keep the original in flash, because when I tried to boot up with the 12.4 it told me I didn't have enough memory. I erased that and uploaded a 12.3(25) and tried to boot with that. Everything was going ok until I saw:

mmi polling-interval 60

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

no mmi auto-configure

^

no mmi pvc

^

mmi snmp-timeout 180

^

ip pim bidir-enable

^

So then I went back and performed the following:

>en

#config term

(config)#no boot system

(config)#boot system flash:c1700-sy7-mz.122-4.XL3.bin

^Z

#write memory

After I reloaded, and subsequent reloads, I now get these errors during load:

boot-start-marker

^

boot-end-marker

^

Anyone have any clues? Also, I opened up the router to see how I would perform a memory upgrade if I decided to get some ram and flash. Wow...totally different than described in cisco's docs. I've got some kind of blank dimm labeled "DO NOT REMOVE UNLESS YOU ARE INSTALLING A DIMM" in slot labeled U26DRAM and where I expected to be a mini flash card the slot is labeled "VPN" and instead I have two intel flash chips, then there are two more slots labeled "U27 PVDM0" AND "U10 PVDM1"

Any info would be appreciated. I just bought this to try to learn with while I'm waiting for school enrollement to take a CCNA cert course.

Thank you,

Mark

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No every aspect of your configuration needs to be built. There is not a "default" that will allow you to have network access or internet capabilities. You have to build your router from scratch.

Here is something to get you started.

http://www.swcp.com/~jgentry/topo/cisco.htm

Please remember to use the rating tool for helpful posts!

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

williamsdo
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, I read your post and I am happy to see a newbie getting his feet wet. I have one word of advice never upgrade your IOS code unless you have too. If your unit is running fine with the current IOS you should be okay. Also I would reccommend backing up your existing IOS code on your TFTP server before you replace it incase your have to fall back.

The boot-start-marker is just a flag to inform the IOS of the beginning of the IOS or the end.

boot-start-marker

The boot-start-marker and boot-end-marker flags, which can be seen in Cisco IOS software configuration files, are not CLI commands. These markers are written to configuration files automatically to flag the beginning and end of the boot commands (boot statements). By flagging boot statements, these markers allow the router to more reliably load Cisco IOS images during bootup.

A boot statement is one or more lines in a configuration file that tells the router which software image to load after a powercycling (reboot). The boot-start-marker and boot-end-marker flags will appear around any boot commands, including:

•boot bootstrap

•boot config

•boot host

•boot network

•boot system

Note, however, that these markers will always appear in the output of the show running-config or more system:running-config commands, regardless of whether any actual boot commands have been entered. This means that no boot commands will appear between the markers if no boot commands have been entered, or if all boot commands have been removed from the configuration, as shown in the "Examples" section.

The boot-start-marker and boot-end-marker flags cannot be removed or modified using the CLI. These markers are written to the startup configuration file whenever a copy running-config startup-config command is issued.

These flags were also introduced to circumvent errors in the configuration file, such as a leading space before a boot command (such as those sometimes introduced by manually edited configuration files), or the use of text strings that include the word "boot" in banners or other user-specified text.

If the "boot start-marker" flag is not found in the configuration file, the system will use the traditional method to identify the boot commands. However, if you are manually creating configuration files, or copying from older Cisco IOS software releases, the addition of these markers is recommended.

Command History

Release Modification

12.3(3), 12.3(4)T, 12.0(26)S, 12.0(27)SV, 12.3(3)B

The boot-start-marker and boot-end-marker flags were introduced.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/configfun/command/reference/cfr_1g01.html#wp1063021

I figured it out. There was a hidden line I missed, so I downloaded startup-config I had previously saved and viola:

boot-start-marker

^

boot-end-marker

^

Press RETURN to get started!

00:00:03: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/0, changed state to up

00:00:04: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/0, changed state to up

***************(This is the line!!!)

00:00:10: %SYS-4-CONFIG_NEWER: Configuration from version 12.3 may not be correctly understood

***************(since I can't make it bold face!)

00:00:10: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from memory by console

00:00:11: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/0, changed state to up

00:00:13: %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted --

sandman420
Level 1
Level 1

But would you happen to know what the previous "ivalid input" stuff is when I had loaded the 12.3(25) ios and ran it?:

mmi polling-interval 60

^

no mmi auto-configure

^

no mmi pvc

^

mmi snmp-timeout 180

^

ip pim bidir-enable

^

My first guess is the that IOS and Feature Set does not support the commands on that config.

You can use this tool to verify what features you have.

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

From above said tool:

"1750, 1751, 1751-V, 1760 data+voice Routers - use any c1700-images, including voice images."

However, I'm discovering that it might be the fact that I've got to erase the startup-config, and reboot the router or something to have it create startup-config for the 12.3 version upon boot? Tell me if I'm wrong there. The Cisco software upgrade procedure pdf that I downloaded didn't mention anything about that.

You are right with the c1700-image but there are capabilities of the router called feature sets that will give you different features such as security, voice, ect...

example

c1700-advsecurityk9-mz.124-19.bin and c1700-ipbase-mz.124-3j.bin are both an image for the 1700 but both support different commands or "features". What I was implying by my above post was that the "feature set" you had did not support some of the configs or "features" that had been previously configured with a different ios. So when the router boots a config up with those commands you would get errors as seen above. If the router is for lab use, then go ahead and blow that config out of the water. Use the above tool to see what "features" your current IOS has.

Here is a good link on the understanding of IOS labeling

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/620/1.html#t16

Thank you for the information; so i am partially right? But the router will not automatically build a new startup-config after erasing old and rebooting with new ios? And I have to manually create my own startup-config for that? Would you or anyone have any links to sample configs or docs about how to make configs?

Thank you

No every aspect of your configuration needs to be built. There is not a "default" that will allow you to have network access or internet capabilities. You have to build your router from scratch.

Here is something to get you started.

http://www.swcp.com/~jgentry/topo/cisco.htm

Please remember to use the rating tool for helpful posts!

Thank you, this info is very helpful. I have got a lot of reading to do, so bye.

Thanks again,

Mark

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: