cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Route Switch Processor

pointdee9
Level 1
Level 1

I'm after answers to a couple of questions on RSPs. I know the questions are pretty basic but I've only just come across these

If I understand correctly an RSP is an addon for a switch which allows it to "route". The RSP can send/receive routing protocol info.

If so what then becomes the difference between a switch with RSP and a true router from a routing perspective?

Can you still use ACLs with an RSP?

Can you still use features like VRRP?

Any info and links welcome.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Paul

The RSP is the main processing engine for the 7500 router. It is not really an addon for a switch that allows it to route, more is the processing engine that includes the control plane and data plane for the 7500.

The control plane is responsible for establishing the routing table, CEF forwarding tables, peerings with other routers etc.

The data plane is responsible for forwarding the data. See attached sheet for more details

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps359/products_data_sheet09186a0080092013.html

What you may be thinking of as an add on card is an MSFC - Multilayer (thanks Stephen !) Switch Feature card which can be added to a supervisor module for a 6500. With an MSFC the 6500 can be a L3 switch, without it is a Layer 2 switch.

Jon

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Thanks for the info. You're right I was confusing the issue and a prod in the right direction was what I needed

Hi

I am unable to understand that what you want to say? Please explain your question so that me and my team the music insight can guide you properly.

Hii,
If u have any vidoes or documnets regarding RSP and IOS XE architecture
Iam just a begineer to this field.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card