cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1811 and Multiple Remote desktops

rygar1234
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys what/how would be the best way to setup the router for about 6 to 10 remote desktop connections.

The clients want to connect to their own personall workstation from home - all windows xp pro machines.

Thank you

3 Replies 3

Hi Stathis,

I would recommend you to configure the router to be a vpn terminator then deploy all clients to use cisco remote vpn clients. what do you need to have? You need to have a correct IOS and a cisco vpn client software to do so.

please check this link out

http://www.cisco.com/go/fn

If you want all clients to remote from the outside world then you need to have public ip addresses for all clients one-by-one. Why? because a remote desktop will use tcp/3389 so all clients will use the same ports it's not possible to use one public ip address to do PAT in the same port. In short you need 6-10 public ip addresses to do so.

So the remote vpn client should take into account by you guys.

Hopes this helps

Thot

Thx Thot!

After going through the tool it recommneds using 124-15.T4 unfortunetley when I use that ios the wireless does not work anymore it gives me invalid power levels which unfortunelty no one so far knows why.

The way they do it, is they use lets say they have a public ip 70.70.70.70 the add a number afterwards for each workstation and have the router forward that to the specific workstation. 70.70.70.70:100 goes to pc1 70.70.70.70:101 goes to pc2….

Anyway i can combine that with the vpn.

Thank you

I actually use this method to do remote desktops. I just bump up the port on the router, then just NAT it to the box and switch the port back to 3389. Works well.

I'm just curious, though; if you're doing this, why would you want to do it over a VPN? The RDP is already encrypted, I believe.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card