cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

why 2 ICMP (U) unreachable messages are missing?

ekwok
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

when I ping to an non-exist network, the next hop router reply the icmp reply (unreachable messge) to me. however, I could only find 3 U messages only. Where are the missing 2 U messages?

I also used debug ip packet detail and receive 3 icmp type 3 messages. not 5 messages.

fw#ping 200.0.0.1

Type escape sequence to abort.

Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 200.0.0.1, timeout is 2 seconds:

U.U.U

Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Eric

When you ping to a non existant address then the router that receives the ping request and realizes that the destination address is not reachable will generate an ICMP unreachable error message and send it to the originator of the ping. However Cisco routers rate limit their ping responses (as a mechanism to help protect against Denial of Service attacks against the router). The router is receiving 5 requests which can not be forwarded and sends the ICMP error to 3. The other 2 are rate limited.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Eric

When you ping to a non existant address then the router that receives the ping request and realizes that the destination address is not reachable will generate an ICMP unreachable error message and send it to the originator of the ping. However Cisco routers rate limit their ping responses (as a mechanism to help protect against Denial of Service attacks against the router). The router is receiving 5 requests which can not be forwarded and sends the ICMP error to 3. The other 2 are rate limited.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card