Query regarding time interval for CCNP - Please Help

Unanswered Question
Apr 15th, 2008

I think this is quite a common question, but I can never seem to find an answer that makes any sense, so I would like to take the opportunity to clear this up.

I gained my original CCNA in July 2002

I then gained recertification in May 2005 by passing the CiscoWorks exam (now retired)

I then started my CCNP by passing the BSCI in June 2006.

I have subsequently passed the BCMSN and the ISCW.

My question is:

I have read that you have a maximum of 3 years to complete all the CCNP exams, but when does the "clock" start ticking ? Is from passing the first CCNP exam, or from when you last certified your CCNA ?

As you can see, if it is from when your CCNA was last certified then I am band out of luck as this ocurred in May 2005 and I haven't even sat the ONT course yet. However, if it is from the date when you passed the first CCNP exam, in my case June 2006, then I have a little over a year to complete the final exam.

Can anyone help answer this question ?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
cbeswick Tue, 04/15/2008 - 23:59

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your response.

This is good news. I have one final question.

Assuming I pass my final exam before June 2009, I understand that my CCNP certification is then valid for a full three years, along with all the component exams within it, is this correct ?

davehartburn Wed, 04/16/2008 - 02:33

Thats the way I understand the certifications work. You have 3 years from passing the first CCNP module to passing the last. One each module pass, you will recerfity your CCNA for 3 years.

Once you pass your final CCNP module, you have 3 years to pass any 642 exam, which will recertify CCNP for another 3 years.

What I plan to do is pass my CCNP, do a CCDA at some point in the 2 years following CCNP completion, then pass the 642 ARCH exam before the CCNP expires. This will recertify CCNA, CCNP, CCDA and give me the CCDP, all for another 3 years.

God knows what the rules will be in 6 years time for recertification.

Can anyone let me know if this is not a valid plan?

This Discussion