cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TLS - EMS services provided by verizon.

sandeepatel
Level 1
Level 1

I wanted to understand how verizon is offering the TLS-EMS ( multipoint )services.

As per verizon they can offer the hub (100 Mbps) and spoke connectivity (10 Mbps) as spoke sites but also can be multipoint to multipoint.

We already hv a network with Switching network ( hub site) & Frame relay connecity to remote sites ( spoke site) . If this network needs to be changes to Ethernet service provided by Verizon what are the configuration steps.

Also Can I use my FR line as a backup to TLS services ??

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

TLS is a metro-ethernet offering. Verizon utilizes their switch backbone to transport data for their customers. They limit their bandwidth by deploying a converter at your location.

It is multipoint in nature, as any switch connectivity is, so you can connect from spoke to spoke and spoke to hub. The ones I've deployed have been Layer2 offering and you are given an access Vlan. This Access Vlan is used on all switches connected to the TLS.

So for instance you are given Vlan 700,

Site A (Hub)

vlan 700

name TLS

vlan 701

name TLS_Transit

interface fx/x

switchport encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk native vlan 700

switchport trunk allowed vlan 700,701

interface vlan 701

ip add 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.248

site B (spoke 1)

vlan 700

name TLS

vlan 701

name TLS_Transit

interface fx/x

switchport mode trunk

interface vlan 701

ip add 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.248

site C (spoke 2)

vlan 700

name TLS

vlan 701

name TLS_Transit

interface fx/x

switchport mode trunk

interface vlan 701

ip add 192.168.1.3 255.255.255.248

You can still use the Frame-Relay line as a backup.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

looking to above config I had few more configuration doubts.

Attached is the network dia with 2 type of config.

1) will both the config works and will be able to ping 192.168.10.0 network from the spoke site(vlan 806).

2) In the first slide do I still need the Transit TLS (700 vlan). will the STP work in first case. also how I can configure FR backup ?

3) Is slide 2 config ok and configure FR backup by routing with higher metric.

Which is the config recommended in TLS cases?

1) You can eliminate the L2 and L3 information from Vlan 701 on this case. On my example, I provided a L2 access Vlan for the connection to the Verizon switches and the L2/L3 Vlan (tagged) for the "TLS" subnet.

One of the caveats you may face is that you may want some remote location to have their own point-to-point subnet while having other remote locations with a multi-point subnet.

If you were to dedicate the Vlan given to you by Verizon as a L2 and L3 Vlan, then you are very limited as you can't break the L3 domain as the remote locations required.

Therefore, I recommend leaving the Verizon assigned Vlan as L2 and trunk on that interface the Vlans for the remote locations while creating their respective L3 presence.

3) The backup FR will be handle either with dynamic or static routing with a higher metric.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: