cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Intermittent IPCP close / Loss of layer 2

mcallahan313
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 7206VXR that I'm using to terminate some PPPoE ADSL sessions. I have recently added another DS3+Serial interface to this unit for terminating some backhaul traffic from another carrier. The problem I'm having is that I'm intermittently loosing layer 2 on this link - although not completely.

When the failure occurs, my interface and line protocol show up/up. However CDPCP and IPCP show Closed.

Serial5/0 is up, line protocol is up

Hardware is M1T-T3+ pa

Internet address is x.x.199.1/30

MTU 4470 bytes, BW 44210 Kbit, DLY 200 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Encapsulation PPP, LCP Open

Closed: CDPCP, IPCP, crc 16, loopback not set

If I bounce the interface by doing a shut/no shut, Layer 2 re-negotiates and ip connectivity returns.

The router is running aaa for my pppoe sessions, and I believe aaa is treating this new interface as a remote access link. Is there any way to exempt this interface from participating in aaa?

I believe aaa is causing the issue since the router "show aaa user all" shows a Unique ID for this connection and "show aaa sessions" shows a session ID for this link. When the circuit fails, both of these disappear.

I thought perhaps this was due to a timeout setting but I have been unable to determine what is causing IPCP to close. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

1 Reply 1

hadbou
Level 5
Level 5

when the circuit fails the AAA sessions get closed and the session id and the connection id gets cleared and a new od gets asigned when the session is established again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card