cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

P2MP design

skhirbash
Level 1
Level 1

I am in the process of designing a Wireless solution to connect 2 separate buildings that are hard to wire. In the design, I have a central building that will home all of the networking devices including, wireless bridge, and the gateway. This is the building where I will put the central bridge and a directional antanna. My question is, how should I connect the other 2 buildings to this central building?

Would it be with one cental bridge and antanaa to connect the other 2 buildings (P2MP)? Would this allow full-duplex for each connection?

Would it be with 2 cental bridges and 2 directional antannas to connect to the 2 separate buildings (P-to-P) to allow full-duplex for each connection?

Thanks for the prompt response,

sK

5 Replies 5

bcolvin
Level 3
Level 3

First whether you have two roots with separate links to each building or or one root for both non-roots will be determined by the bandwidth required over the links. The other consideration is will both non-root AP's be covered by a single directional antenna.

Second the Cisco 1200, 1300 and 1400 AP radios all operate in half-duplex mode.

Hope this helps

Bill

So, which one of the following scenarios provides best preformance considering that VoIP will be implemented?

- 1 root bridge with one directional antenna(Central bldg) connecting 2 non-root bridges(2 directional antennas).

- 1 root bridge with 2 directional antennas (Central bldg)connecting 2 non-root bridges(2 directional antennas).

- or 1 root bridge, 1 non-root bridge with 2 directional antennas (Central bldg) connecting 2 non-root bridges(2 directional antennas)

In all scenarios, all duplex mode will operate in half-duplex?

Okay

now some info to work with

best configuration, 2 root bridges each with unique SSID and a single directional antenna. one non-root in each remote location with a directional antenna.

a second antenna is not needed as multipath is not an issue with bridges.

In all scenarios the radios operate in half-duplex. the radio cannot transmit and recieve simultaneously.

the bridges will require clear line of sight, also the distance between root and non-root is a factor to consider in you design. check these links for details.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008058f53e.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps458/products_tech_note09186a008009459b.shtml

There is much more information available just follow the links in the abpve documents.

Good luck with your project

Bill

Are there any bridges/antennas that would operate in full-duplex? Half-duplex will present issues for VoIP implementation.

Thanks,

sK

Yes there are Proxim.com has several models that will probably meet your requirements. there are also other manufactures of theis equipment a web search should find them. just remember these products are ususlly much more expensive than the Cisco 2.4 and 5.8 products but they do offer 100mbit full duplex.

HTH

Bill

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card